Raising Salinity?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by yptozmy, Nov 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

I use an instant ocean hydrometer. I test it numerous times a day because of the tanks premature level.

It always reads right between 1.021 and 1.022.

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

not at all. Infact, I know someone who keeps their fish only tanks at 1.021.

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

For the learning of all trying to help; I read through all the responses and to my bewilderment no one, no one asked where the SG started at and how much it fell over how long of a period. Not only that, are coral involved? Where are we going to, 23, 24, 25 sg? Fish only tanks are good at 17 SG-21 SG. Responding without knowing an objective can be reckless.
    Another point no one seemed to pick up on is he says he had a huge evaporation, this should increase salinity and then when top off water is added SG should really not move down all that much.

5. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Okay problem solved I guess, thanks a lot everyone! :D

6. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

i believe i wanna keep ur tank at a higher salinity than .21 saltwater fish a more prone to diseases at lower salt levels

7. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Before I added the RO water, the salinity was about 1.023-.24. Now it is at 1.021-.22.

I have no coral/anemone or anything. Live rocks and a pair of clownfish. There is a powerhead witha CPR skimmer.

I am guessing my salinity at the moment is fine, only because clown fish are hardy and not that picky with SG.

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thats something else I would like to point out. I know most of us started out with a swing arm type hydrommeter. I know I used to use one. I took the advice of others on this site and bought a refractometer. Best investment in this hobby. My hydrometer said my tank was at 1.023, when it was actually 1.020. Do your self a favor, if your want to be succesfull in this hobby, get a refractometer.

10. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

What's their cost and where's the best place to buy one? My LFS sells everything twice the price of other local pet stores (I have reciepts to prove it lol)

11. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

why dont you ask him im just trying to help why dont u try it ::) ps thanks for the help. i never had a fowlr tank before but i know most real salt waters are higher than .21

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
  12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Not much considering how useful they are. You can find them anywhere from $20 to over $100 easy. The one I have was about $50 from drs. foster and smith. I see them all over ebay for pretty cheap