Raising Salinity?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by yptozmy, Nov 1, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Hey there,

Last week, I added about 2 gallons of RO water to my tank, due to a huge evaporation.

My Salinity has fallen to about 1.021, and all I have is a pair of young clown fish.

Do you guys think I should raise the salinity? If so, by adding salt? Or by removing some water first and making saltwater?

The tank is full of water at the momemt. It's a 30 Gallon tank.

2. Click Here!

3. harlife

harlife Plankton

You can add salt but not to tank....Remove water and raise that then put back in....never add salt right to the tank.

4. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Ok so remove water, add salt to it, and pour back in? How much water and how much salt?

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

never add salt directly to the tank. You should premix some salt water to your desired salinity and raise it slowly by doing water changes or you can do your top offs with salt water instead of RO water until your desired salinity is reached.

6. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I agree do not add salt directly to the tank.

7. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Ok so at 1.021 in my tank, how much should I remove of the water, and how much salt should I add to that water?

8. Click Here!

9. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

DO NOT DO THAT !!! 1+ to premixing always

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

No, don't add salt to the water your taking out, make new water. How much salt you use depends on what type of salt you use and what your desired salinity is. I use reef crystals and It takes a half cup of salt per gallon of fresh RO water for a SG of 1.025. I let my salt water mix sit for 24 hours before using it but in this situation a few hours should be fine as long as it is mixed well with a powerhead. Using a small heater in the mixing bucket also helps dissolve the salt.

1 person likes this.
  11. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Bah gotcha, I'll remove 1 gallon of water, THROW IT AWAY DOWN MY SINK. Then mix 1 gallon with half a cup of salt. let it sit, then pour in.

12. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

4 cups out 4 cups premixing salt water at one time do that til u get the level u need