Radion Pro vs. ReefBreeders 32"

Discussion in 'Reef Breeders' started by bhazard, Jan 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I picked up a Radion Pro today. I figured for $950 (with hanging kit), that the light would be outstanding and would beat out my 32" fixture. The result was totally unexpected.

Radion Pro 14k Setting: (UV 100%, Royal Blue 100%, Blue 100%, White 75%, Green 75%, Red 75%)
    ReefBreeders 32": (100% Blue, 75% White and colors)

[​IMG]

100% All channels for both
    [​IMG]

The Radion Pro looks "sterile" compared to the 32. I thought the Radion Pro would have beaten the RB light outright, but I completely prefer the RB light. Seriously, I expected so much more. It's a huge pain in the *** to play with settings too. I have to have my laptop connected via usb to make changes and know what is going on.

I'll have more shots and impressions later, with PAR readings by tomorrow night.

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Following for the par readings.

4. bhazard

Just took a bunch of readings. I'll have them ready tomorrow.

Basically, with the Radion hung 9.5 inches above water level, it hits ~950 dead center 2 inches below the water line. Keeps ~300 at the sand bed 21" down. I would need to use 4 units to keep the entire tank that way. PAR drops off steadily to the sides.

At 8 inches above the water line, the RB unit hits closer to ~1050, and maintains around ~380 at the sand bed dead center.

For half the price, you get the around the same PAR and more coverage.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Glad to finally see someone producing a realistic unit at a reasonable price. One thing I've had against LED in general is that you either end up with a cheap, inferior product, or pay a small fortune for a massively overpowered one with a lot of unnecessary whistles and bells.

K+ for sharing. :)

6. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very interesting. Thank you. Wish you had an AI vega color there too.

7. jbraslins

Btw, what if you turn white down on radion? Wonder what that will do to color and par.

8. Click Here!

9. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Very good info. +K for sharing :)

10. bhazard

In the first picture, White is turned down to 75%. It's using the 14k setting on the Radion Pro in Ecosmart. In the 18k and 20k setting, white is turned down to 37-45% and is definitely more blue, but it maintains a similar overall look.

Coral and fish look great under both (which I believe pop from the violets and reds), but side by side its hard to justify the price premium, especially when the PAR numbers are similar.

11. jbraslins

So tempted to send you my AI Vega fixture to set it up side by side. Maybe some 3reef sponsor can loan you one *wink* *wink*

12. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Thanks for the review bhazard, I am glad you like our fixtures!