R.I.P reefpack 505

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Swisswiss, Aug 3, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

so as i was cleaning my tunze reefpack 505 it slipped out of my hands and crashed misreably on the ground breaking it.... :(!!!!.....

now im not comfortable running my tank skimmerless so i went ahead and bought the 9012. its basically the smae skimmer as the 505 reefpack but it has improved energy consumption and slicker design....

do you folks have any thought on this particular skimmer? my sump is improvised in a way where the skimmer compartment is rather limited in size. this was the best I could get for the size available. its rated for tank from 200-1500 liters, depending on the bio-load.

As a reminder this is my current bio-load:
    1x yellow tail blue damsel
    2x percula
    1x occelaris (soon to be moved)
    1x cleaner wrasse
    1x yellow tang
    1x blue regal tang
    1x clown goby
    1x flasher wrasse
    2x mandarin
    1x cbb

For a total water volume of estimated 120g ( sump included) am I correct when I say this is medium-high bio-load? Will the skimmer handle it?

As always thank you for the input

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not sure about that particular skimmer but I'd agree and say medium-high bioload.

Lovemyreef2015 and Swisswiss like this.
  4. Swisswiss

hmm well then in that case and according to BRS the skimmer is rated for a 150g with a "medium" bioload....thats not to bad....

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If the previous skimmer did the job then I'm sure the new one will do just fine

Swisswiss and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  6. Swisswiss

so just mini update...took a few attempts to set it up at the right water level, and the cup removal/placement took some learning but the units is otherwise awesome!

- break-in period was pretty much in existent (probably also due to my bioload)

- its very, and i mean VERY quiet (if the cup isnt clean when full it will sometimes "whistle" though)

-iv tweeked it so it skimmates on the drier end of things. the stuff it pulls out is far smellier than my old unit.... if never smelt something so nasty, it seems to accumulate in much thicker and higher concentration along the walls of the collection cup too.
    might open the air intake a little more

Zissou likes this.
  7. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

glad it is working for you. its a good feeling knowing you are pulling that stuff out.