quietest HOB skimmers?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by billybaldwin3, Feb 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

i realize this is probably a worn out topic, and i'm sorry. :(

i'm starting my first saltwater aquarium, i used to breed african cichlids so i'm not new to fish, just saltwater.

i've got a 55gal tank i'm about to set up, and i was thinking of using a reef octopus bh 2000, but i've read alot that it can be noisey. is this correct?

if so, what is a good option for a HOB skimmer that's very quiet?

also, does anyone know anything about essops skimmers? are they any good, quiet?

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

any chance you will be throwing in a sump on that tank?

4. billybaldwin3

in the future yes, as of right now, don't have the money.

so i'm just going with a hob skimmer for now.

5. JOHNMD

JOHNMD Astrea Snail

6. billybaldwin3

thanks!

but, a couple questions....
    1- that is rated for 75 gals, i'm gonna use it on a 55gal tank, and i will probably end up overstocking it a little bit, will that ne big enough?
    2- also, i have a 20gal tank that i plan on DIYing for a fuge, that's 75 ttl gals, this skimmer wouldn't be big enough then would it? do they make a bigger one that's HOB?

7. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

if you plan on getting a sump in the future...IMO. now I know people out there will be going nuts with me saying this. But you should be able to run that tank skimmer less for that time till you put the sump in and you get a proper skimmer then. I've run a tank without one and just using a quality carbon and converted an Aquaclear filter to a fuge. Water change every 2 weeks. You just don't want to be in that boat where you buy a HOB skimmer and plan a sump then you need a bigger skimmer. that's just my .02.

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

the aquamaxx hob1 is a great skimmer, and a workhorse. Fairly quiet as well, i mostly hear a slight gurgle from the return, but my mp10s are louder.

If you go this route, make sure you get the new release, with the larger collection cup and new cones bubble plate.

10. billybaldwin3

aquamaxx isn't big enough. the only one i can find is only for like 75 gals. i want one for at least 100.

11. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Astrea Snail

Reef octopus is super quiet