Question on new 125g setup

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Tanks' started by Wingman709, Jul 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wingman709

Wingman709 Plankton

Hi there,

My wife and I recently bought a house that has a 125 gallon tank build into the family room wall. We wanted to do a SW setup but I am thinking of going FW to save on cost.

My questions are as follows.

1) Can you setup a FW tank that is easy to maintain like you can with SW? (Ex. Protein skinner's, etc)

2) is it really cheaper to go FW? Will initial setup (not counting fish) be pretty much the same cost either way?

3) What do you recommend for easiest maintenance when it comes to filters, lights, etc.

I have the tank and all the old canister filters but I want to buy new stuff and make sure I have enough for the size of the tank.

Thanks for your help. I don't trust LFS as they will sell you everything to make a buck.

2. Click Here!

3. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

I ran a FW setup since I was little and IMO they are about the same when it comes to caring for them.

For a FW setup you only need a simple hob filter, some people use under gravel filters but those are more trouble than their worth IMO. Depending on if you are going to haw a planted tank will determine if you will need to dose your tank with stuff like excel. Other than that it's mostly just water changes and other matinence.

The startup cost is very different, an hob filter is nothing compared to a good skimmer. Also if you will be using fake plants you won't need to buy an expensive light fixture like you would need o grow corals and such.

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

What was the original owners set up like? Was this already a SW tank, or did they just have it as FW?

Some more information on the current state of the tank or simply post a few pics would be great. It's hard to estimate cost when we don't know what you are starting out with.
    On another note, that's awesome to have an inwall pre built for ya, that's a lot of work.

5. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

Startup for a saltwater will be a little higher , protein skimmer , water maker etc.
    But if it's going to be fish only your not really looking a big difference in operating cost than freshwater.
    Like 55gfowlr said maybe post some pics and or list what you currently have setup.

6. scadsobees

scadsobees Fire Shrimp

Heh...freshwater was a maintenance dream compared to salt w/ coral. I'm not a pristine aquariast, but the amount of maintenance for a few fw fish compared to a reef tank is day and night different.

All my fw tanks just had simple hang-on back filters. Tap water. Relatively cheap lights. If I had to skip a wc or two, no problem. No messing with RO, no salt mixing, minimal testing.

I've never had a sw fowlr tank, so don't know what that takes.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Agree with all.

But if you like the colors, diversity, uniqueness, etc., go with a SW tank.
    You won't be sorry; provided you take the few simple steps cuyring set up.

In fact, you mentioned cannister filters- then most likely a FW tank, and it's certainly not reef ready.

Do some research about drilling the tank, making (easy), or buying (expensive) an overflow and making (easy), or buying (again, expensive) a sump. I'm sure your room the tank is in-the fish room, has room in there for that, yes?

If you take your time, you can build as good or better than you can buy.
    There is a PS I'm using on my 125 reef- the SC150- by far best bang for the buck at around $100 shipped/new.

Welcome to 3REEF!, and good luck!

8. Click Here!

9. Wingman709

Wingman709 Plankton

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. I do not know the history of this tank. The sellers were investors and not original owners of the home. I have attached a couple of pictures to show what I am working with. Hopefully these will be helpful.

Further details are that there is a closet behind the wall with the tank so I do have room in there. But there is not a sink in that closet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

That's awesome, definitely a good selling feature for ANY house : ) It appears you've got plenty of room back there for a sump and skimmer upgrade.

11. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

Looks like it was a cichlid tank, or maybe an FO. Defenitely set it up SW.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Startup costs and maintenance will be much less for FW.;)