Question about frozen food..

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by CBSurfrider, Aug 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Concerning frozen shrimp & squid for my Eel. Can I thaw and re-freeze pieces of squid or shrimp and thaw again to feed my Eel? What I'm getting at is my bait shop sells a box of frozen squid. My Eel can't eat an entire squid (prob take ten feedings) so can I freeze the leftovers for another feeding? OR should I thaw once, cut up portions for daily feeding and put in separate baggies and only worry about it being thawed out once?

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Cut it while it's frozen and put the cuttings in individual ziplock bags. That way it's easier to cut and you don't have to thaw it out every time you need a piece. That's what I would do.

CBSurfrider and Corailline like this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Cutting up frozen squid is fairly easy, it cuts nicely and you can even use sharp scissors. Receive the squid frozen and chop it up into individual feedings. Only thaw what you feed for any given day.

:)

CBSurfrider likes this.
  5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

That's what I'll do. Thanks!

6. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I do this with the sheets of PE Mysis. I chop them into squares and then put these squares in a ziplock. they are just the right size for a single serving.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I agree with above. I read somewhere that if you freeze a second time the tissues will rupture and contents will just spill out into the water not giving the animal the nutrition.