QT tank build help for ich/velvet/brooklynella?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by nanomania, Apr 9, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes.

Assuming that you're referring to properly cleaned and cured SPS/LPS skeletons, I see no problem with it. Just make sure you sterilize them thoroughly between uses. :)

nanomania likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Making the fish feel comfortable is the most important stress releiver/disease/parasite repellent on the market.There is no substitute for a stress free enviroment.IMO A QT Should have lots of rock and caves large enough for the animals to hide and sleep.PVC can work but its not ideal imo.The closer the enviroment is to there natural one the more stress you can avoid.Keeping a fish in a high stress enviroment for 6 weeks can absolutely be counter productive.Plus everytime you move a fish they encounter the same stresses twice in A relatively short period of time.I have never had a significant issue with any of the diseases or parasites you seem concerned about.In over 35 years of doing this I have never QT anything.
    My approach the faster I can get them in the tank with good clean water and the right enviroment the better their chances for survival and this has been proven the case for me most of the time.Constantly adding fish over long periods seldom works due mainly to aggresion/stress on new comers or sometimes residents.These fish are collected from different regions and can carry diseases they are immune to but other fish die from;simply because the other fish have never been exposed to it and carry no natural immunity.

Piano10, Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  4. nanomania

nanomania Vagabond Butterfly

Wow 35yrs never faced disease without qt thts great.. here there is no concept of qt at lfs, thts the issue. Well people dont suggest rocks coz the meds will be almost impossible to remove from the rocks

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Didn't say I have never faced disease I said it never caused any major problem for me. I have had fish die it is just an uncommon occurance because I stock very low.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. Mr. Bill

That's everywhere. Most LFS I've seen don't even acclimate, just open bags and dump everything in. Some even have a sale the same day.

Anything that leaches out is easily removed. ;)

7. nanomania

So if i add carbon, everything will be removed

8. Click Here!

9. nanomania

What about treating with cupramin while acclimating?

10. Mr. Bill

No. You'll need to use Cuprisorb.

Like Vinny, I personally don't quarintine. For those who do, I highly recommend using any medication ONLY when absolutely necessary. Just like a QT, meds provide lots of additional, undue stress.

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I don't QT either. My advice would be to slow down a bit. Its a bummer that you lost fish, it happens. I don't think you need to go to these great lengths to try to fix this issue of you loosing the fish, but rather take it slow and rethink what is being done with in your system. I'd start with your water quality. This is what I believe caused stress to the fish which made them sick. Get good test kits, understand what your water parameters are and how to correct them when something is wrong. Are you using RO/DI? How often do water changes occur?

Mr. Bill and nanomania like this.
  12. nanomania

Currently i feel my fishes were not well already as i recently learnt that white stringy poop is not a good sign. Secondly i had a continuous current in my tank all the time, which again added to more stress. So as for 3mnths, im not adding any fish, im investing in good equipments, like i already removed those old pumps tht leaked current and replacing them with eheim pumps (already ordered). I have a salifert po4 testkit and a tetra all in one test strip. I still feel tht my water parameters were perfect as my fishes were absolutely fine. Also i recycled for 30+ days. My half dead brittle star has recovered and my shrimps are doing fine. Currently iv disconectted sump from dt with jus some flow in the sump till my eheim pump comes. Im plannin to get salifert alk and cal test kit too with a hanna ph pen. Well be buying a jebao rw8 or rw 15 too.. also im making space for a bigger 150g backsump type reef tank after 5 to 6mnths or so.