psk 100 H Overflows

Discussion in 'Eshopps Inc.' started by ccwoody, Feb 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccwoody

ccwoody Plankton

My new skimmer just keeps overlowing foam, that collection cup fills and the foam just keeps overflowing. The water level in the skimmer is right at the neck of the cup.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Sounds like your skimmer needs time to "break in".Turn down the flow till it stops spilling the wet foam into the cup and leave it run that way for a day.Try increasing the flow a little each day,it could take a week or more for it to start working properly and start producing drier skimmate.

4. Gavinsons

Gavinsons Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just got a new skimmer and did the same thing. I left it alone for a week, checked it last night and had about half a collection cup of nasty brown stinky stuff. It has been running for about 10 days now.

5. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

It's breaking in. Do like the posters above stated and lower the level in the skimmer. Once it begins to make "real" foam slowly adjust the level until foam needs to climb the neck and pop on the lid of the cup.

6. ccwoody

ccwoody Plankton

Thanks for all your help, aonther thing I did was run a Magnum H.O.T with carbon for two days, the skimmer is running now and not overlowing like it was before. Again thanks for the help, I think 3reef is a very good place for information.

7. ccwoody

ccwoody Plankton

Update: I got a API tap water filter and after doing two 40 gallon water aout two weeks apart the skimmer works very well. I will get a RO/DI unit as this proved to me to advantage of good water.