Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse) - Sept '05 Fish of the Month

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[​IMG]
    Pseudocheilinus hexataenia

Reef Safe: Yes
    Attitude: [​IMG]

Max Size: 3"
    Diet: Carnivore
    Care: Easy

Origin: Fiji, Indo-Pacific

Personal Observations -

What a cool wrasse. I've owned wrasses that were not so.. let's say, nice. The Six-Line on the other hand, is just even keel. So mellow. It doesn't seem to carry a grudge. Mellow does not mean shy; this fish will come up and say hello and swim around the front of the tank. And man is it a cool swimmer! 8) It just glides around the rocks effortlessly looking for something to pick at. But don't worry, it won't touch your corals, it likes pods, worms.. that sort of thing. It doesn't seem to bother my crabs or snails though.

The Six-Line wrasse is an easy feeder. I feed mine formula foods and cyclop-eeze. The food barely hits the water and he is on it grabbing a chunk before my Fox Face can blink an eye.

Compatibility with many other fish, easy feeding and reef safe make this fish a high recommendation and 3reef's first Fish of the Month! :) :goldfish:

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THIS FISH!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

they act like gold fish but hungry ;D and hard to kill in less you put in a lion fish :skull: :pissed: :help: :oops: that's what happened to my wifes tank. :bigcry: :loco: :furious2:

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You should vote in the latest 3reef poll. :biglaugh:

5. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

definately a great fish...a lot of fun to watch swim around too as it hovers around rocks and picks at it. Cute little fish too..looks like it wears lipstick. :) Also doesn't seem to bother ANY of my other tank inhabitants..see sig for list

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Cool fish. Still make a runs at the Green Chromis. The Six line acts like a cleaner to my Coral Beauty thats way cool.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Six lines can be the biggest little fish in your tank, ie. sometimes they have the attitude of a gnarly pseudochromis. I had more then one that wouldn't allow ANYTHING else to be added to the tank, even much larger fish.

8. Click Here!

9. boostenmkiv

boostenmkiv Flamingo Tongue

wow, thats pretty surprising to hear...mine seems to be the most laid back fish in the tank and when I have added anything new it hasn't even seemed to care one bit...the true percs on the other hand are as nosey as can be anytime I add or do ANYTHING to my tank :)

10. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

I have added quite a few fish to my tank since i got my wrasse and he couldn't care less about the new fish ;D i would recommend this fish for all reef tanks :) it's one of my favorites.

Peter

11. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I like the coloring, will he get along with my Black Birdwrasse?

mike

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Your bird wrasse most likely won't get along with it.

In all my years of wholesaling and retialing fish, I've given the same advice. They can be very mean little guys, that doesn't mean all will be mean though ;)

Scott Michael concurs with me on pg 311 of his "Marine Fishes" handbook. "However, it will often behave aggressively towards peacefull wrasses and shy, inoffensive species."

I wouldn't call Coral Beauties, Kole tangs or tomato clowns inoffensive, but several of my ol sixlines sure thought they were. FWIW, one even beat the crud out of a pseudochromis.