protein skimmer..please help..

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by iceman, Oct 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

I'm finally starting over on my reef tank after absolutely doing everything wrong. I am almost ready and I have hit a wall. My problem is my sump is not long enough to have a protein skimmer and a refugium. After a fair amount of research i still have questions. Do i need a protein skimmer? and if so can i plumb it outside the sump? I am ready to set it up as soon as i figure this out all suggestions/help are welcome.

2. Click Here!

3. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Short answer.. no... but be prepared for more water changes.

A skimmer's function is to clean water. If you do not have one, then you must have a plan for cleaning that water. Either an extremely light bio-load and lots of live rock, or water changes very often.

As for plumbing an external skimmer.... very possible. What you are looking for is called a recirculating skimmer. They are slightly more expensive, but can be hard plumbed instead of sitting in the sump.
    When shopping for skimmers, they will say if they are external sump compliant... or should.
    Link for an example..... http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...iums_Reefs-Reef_Octopus-CV5131-FIPSRC-vi.html
    Marine Depot has a dozen examples of external skimmers and there are plenty of others out there.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Ok other way around too any suggestions on a separate refugium I have a space roughly a foot long and 17 inches wide beside the sump

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

A separate refugium is also a possibility for you. A lot of people have a refugium separate from their sump making it so some water goes into the fuge, the rest going into the sump then both combining before the return pump send the water back to the DT.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If I had to choose between the two, I would go for the skimmer. I think that doing an external refugium is probably easier to plumb than the skimmer, however having one that is very small probably provides little benefit. It would be helpful to know what size display tank you are planning and how much room you have under the display for the things you want to do. Good luck!

7. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

Ok I think I've figured it out. possibly. Hopefully. My sump is a 29 gal. Tank I have 8 inches of room for skimmer and other things. Then it goes into the refugium is 9 and a half inches wide enough. Then into the return area. I had to remove the filter bags is that ok. I have read and what I've heard was they clog up really fast and not worth it.

8. Click Here!

9. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

One more thing DT is 75 gal.

10. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I removed my filter bags without any issues. Many people do that because they find that they clog quickly and become nitrate factories. If you like, you can place a media bag over your outlet to catch some debris. They have less filtration but are easier to clean and don't just clog up and overflow. Let us know what you end up doing!

11. iceman

iceman Fire Worm

I'm probably going to remove them and use the tray still but use PVC down from the bulkhead to stop the splashing.

12. iceman

iceman Fire Worm