petco

Discussion in 'RARS' started by jakeh24, Jun 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I agree with this. 3reef gets sued and gets shut down where will we be. They gotta cover there butts.

2. Click Here!

3. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

I actually Manage a Petco hear in So Cal and I know first hand that there are alot of Petco's that can't handle having salt water tanks. Petco has just started renovateing most there stores and up gradeing alot of the old stores tanks. Petco as a company actually really cares about its animals and is very strict on how they are kept, but unfortuatly it is hard to find Petcos that have any one that is in to our hobby. Alot of the Petcos in my area have recently lost there salt water privleges and converted there salt tanks to fresh. My store is one of the 2 petcos in my district that still has salt water. Mostly because I take care of it myself and do all the ordering myself since I know the fish and what sells. Every Petco is ranked on a A,B, or C scale. A higher rating is usally given based on not only how many of the fish live but the amount of Marine fish sold at that location. My store is a B ranked store, mainly because we are a new store. I started at as a C store but recently brought it up and am scheduled to become a A ranked store in a few months. The rankeing is actually really nice because it limits what fish that store can order. They won't let a C ranked store carry any type of fragile fish because they may not have any employees that would have the knlowedge to care for these fish. It is hard to find good employees that care enough about the hobby to really learn it and maintain the department.

My store carrys a large variety of fish and even a few mushrooms and zoanthids. I also have the ability to order any type of fish that my vendor carrys witch is at about 600 species right now. My Animal cordinator knows that I know alot about the hobby and will let me special order anything I want because I can maintain them. When It comes to marine fish, most Petcos can special order just about anything you want, so if you want a certain fish then just ask them if they have it available to special order and they can give you a price right there. I actually have 2 full sized flame angels on sale right now for $40 each. Petco also has fairy wrasses, cleaner shrimp, black turbo snails, and blue tangs on sale right now, so check them out. If anyone hear is in the Westlake area I manage the new Westlake Petco next to trader joes, come on in and mention 3reef and I will give you a discount and we can discuss any special fish or corals you want to order. Thanks for reading my ramblings and if your Petco doesnt have a great aquarium section, please don't blame Petco as a company, blame that perticular store because they probably just dont have or can't find any employees that are in to fish like we are.

Thanks,
    Sean

1 person likes this.
  4. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

i like petco, i got my cinnamon clownfish from one, And he’s awesome

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Well said Sean, I also work part time at Petco, and I have a large clientel that trusts me. It is hard to find people with our knowledge and care. I wish more people at 3reef and others would use this board to spread good husbandry to others, and even let it seep into those stores through people reading our posts. I personally have passed on alot of what i learned here to customers....It's all a good thing when it is all positive!!!

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I got to browse the fish catalog at my local Petco a couple weeks ago. It is amazing how many different types they can actually order. I'm one of the lucky ones that has a pretty good Petco nearby. Everyone I have talked to is pretty knowledgeable and is much faster to give an opinion that may lose a sail than any LFS near here. I don't buy clowns from anywhere else, because nobody can compete with their prices and they always get to me in good health.

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

My Petco carries very little SW fish and equipment. I did get my 6 line and scooter blenny from there and they were extremely healthy and I have not had any trouble with them. They have also told me they would order anything I wanted or needed. The LFS that I deal with the most carries about anything you can imagine and keeps it in stock (thats why I deal with them). I DO NOT by my fish from them thou because after 5 fish dieing that was purchased from them I decided to try elsewhere. I do get 99% of my equipment and corals from them and anytime if had an issue with anything (besides livestock) they have took care of me. He is very upfront and has told me and heard him tell others that there is no warranty on any SW livestock before it is purchased. So I accept that and go on.

8. Click Here!

9. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

The local Petco in Reno on S. Virginia is going to have a "How to set up a SaltWater Tank" weekend Jan 9th and 10th. Contact the store for more info. They are looking for local speakers. So if you want to help get people off to the right start........speak up

We had a meeting there in Oct and they would really like to have people make comments on their systems. When you get a receipt there is an invite to make comments. Let the powers that be know that the SW for sale should be RO/DI not just filtered city water. Also need to get rid of the bio wheels to help lower nitrates, which will help the fish and corals live longer when put into our cleaner tanks.

10. Saltynub

Saltynub Spaghetti Worm

i love that some of the stores are doing saltwater. i am a salon manager at one and i love being able to special order pretty much anything that i want. i actually have a pink tip anem. waiting on me right now. althought finding people who know alot about the fish life is somewhat hard to find.

11. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

how come everyone's Petco's and Petsmart's have a SW and not mine? i have 2 petco's and 2 petsmart's nearby and none of them have anything SW just freshwater

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Our petco closed down and our petsmart has some saltwater stuff but its way overpriced......