Overflow Question

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by SeminoleB, Jan 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SeminoleB

SeminoleB Coral Banded Shrimp

First off, let me wish everyone a good New Year and thank everyone for the help I have received on this website!!

My questions are this; I understand that any 90 or fitting will cause head loss in returning water from the sump to the DT. Do 90's or other fittings cause any flow loss in a gravity fed overfflow to the sump? Should this be taken into consideration in figuring GPH into the sump and matching the flow with the return pump. I am planning on having a 3-part sump where I will have the majority of the flow going to the skimmer chamber while having a reduced flow going to the 'fuge section. My return section will be in the middle.
    Also, is there a right way or wrong way to split the 3 sections of the sump if I am looking to have 'fuge/return/skimmer sections? I plan on having a 15gal long for the sump (24"l x 12"w x 12"h) and plan on using AquaC Urchin for skimmer that has a footprint of 6" x 6".

Thank you in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Happy New Year to you, as well. :)

I need to ask, are you using an overflow box (internal or HOB)?

If so, the level of your overflow determines the water level in the DT; IOW, your water can't drain faster than it's being returned as it is skimmed from the surface. 90s on the drain should not restrict enough to cause concern.

If you don't have an overflow, you need one. You'll never get a siphon drain and return pump adjusted properly.

4. SeminoleB

My DT is predrilled with an internal overflow. The hole (set up with 1" screw-type bulkhead) is on the side glass instead of the bottom so I will need a couple of 90's to get the water down to the sump. Would it be in my best interest to use flexible pipe instead of hard plumbing?

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

+1 on that!! I had a siphon type overflow box and never got it adjusted right!! If the tank is not set up yet, drill it now! It is so easy to do and will save you a ton of headaches later. Why a 15 gal sump? Is that what is available to you? Any sump is good, but if you can fit a 40 breeder or something like that, it may make things easier for you in the future. Happy new year and good luck!!!

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

There's no reason why you shouldn't use flexpipe. Sometimes it makes it easier to get the drain where you want it. OTOH, there's no advantage as far as flow is concerned- again, the 90s aren't going to be an issue.

7. SeminoleB

Have 15gal tank in hand and getting glass cut for baffles isn't a problem. The DT is an All Glass 36 Bow so wasn't sure how large a sump I would need. Just wanted to hide the skimmer and some of the other equipment and have been reading how effective even basic refugiums can be.