overflow problems. (solved)

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Zgetman, Aug 15, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I made a DIY overflow with the continuous siphon. I am getting a bad gurgling sound from the overflow and a ton of bubbles in the sump. I drilled a hole in the tallest pipe. I started small and went bigger and bigger but it did not help. My overflow is a 3/4 inch pvc. I turned the pump up until the water level in the return section was steady. I have tried turning the pump down and up. When I turn it down I have lost siphon and my tank overfilled. Luck I caught it.

2. Click Here!

3. Droopster

Droopster Fire Worm

Pictures of the setup? I assume you checked for blockages and such?

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes.Pictures would be great. Fwiw all new plumbing is going take some time to settle down.After a slime starts to form it should get quieter and not surge as much. 3\4 sounds small to me. I always like larger diameters for drains.

mdbostwick and chum like this.
  5. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I have 2 3\4 overflows. I am having troubles keeping siphon in both. I don't have an aqua lifter right now.

6. chum

chum Coral Banded Shrimp

i agree with vinny, 1" drain would be better and the aqua lifter will become a problem if the prefilter starts to get dirty. will lose siphon. go with a lifereef overflow and a large pump and you will be on cruise control after that.

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

overflows that run on full siphon?
    Is there some sort of make up, or secondary, or emergency drain?
    Is this a 'Herbie', or Bean animal drain?

Could we please have some complete pictures of what you're doing, I'm sure someone here can help

8. Click Here!

9. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I've built many a HOB overflow drain, and to work correctly, they have to suck some air too.
    Is this a drilled tank?

10. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

I found a bunch of weak joints. I ended up just pulling all the plumbing out. I want to keep the two 3/4 pipe set up. I only need 300gph going through my sump, 400 gph at max. I am probably going to use mostly tubing, from the overflows to the sump. But not sure how that will affect the system.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  11. Zgetman

Zgetman Ritteri Anemone

12. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

OK, now were talking! A classic diy hob overflow. I used one (1.5 " diameter) for years- flawlessly

the upper straight tube should have a vent in it. I put a hole and a valve in my upper upsidedown 'U' - to start the siphon- had a valve to shut it once the flow started.

Instead of it going back upward, I have the inner down tube in a seperate, much larger tube that acted as the 'overflows intake'- much like a store bought intake would- allowing a larger surface skimming area.

If needed, I could find my old thread on here on it- with diagrams, pictures, etc.