Onyx clowns

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by kimberlee, Oct 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

About a year ago I bought a pair of Onyx clowns and had them shipped from San Diego Ca. They were about 2-3 months old. They are still small even though they've gotten much bigger compared to when I first got them. One was about half the size of the other which is what I wanted to avoid fighting. The smaller of the two has colored in about half way, but neither has all of the bands and the larger one is just now coloring in. I know they are suppose to take the longest to mature, but this long? And when can I expect them to be fully mature and hopefully start producing offspring?

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  4. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

sounds like they are starting to mature IME. The female will become quite a bit larger then the male. She will become more aggressive and start "beating him up" and you will notice him hiding a little more and have nips on his fin, mouth etc. It is hard to watch sometimes because you think she is going to kill him. But then all the sudden you will see them do this weird little dance in your tank and then you will have fish eggs shortly after. Definately talk to someone who has raised clown fish fry because I just always allowed the eggs to be free coral food and never moved them out of my tanks

5. kimberlee

So we have eggs finally. First batch wasn't strong, but I have increased feedings and we'll see where it goes.

[​IMG]

6. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Congratulations on finally getting eggs. Got yourself all set up for grow out?

7. kimberlee

Oh yes fully set up. Growing phyto to keep the rotifers alive and than I have some rottigreen for when I'm feeding them to the babies. Also can't forget the larva tank ready and waiting:victory:. So happy and ready for this, I have even had some practice hatching out a friends clutches.

8. Click Here!

9. budsbunny

budsbunny Bristle Worm

good luck !!!! when you sell them let me know..... i prefer tank bred fish when possible !!!

10. kimberlee

Sure, and I feel you on the captive bred whenever possible.What's nice about these 2 is their from a long line of captive bred.

11. kimberlee

Just a side note I think I got really lucky, because my female has always excepted the male and he seems to know whose in charge and has never questioned it. There was no spousal abuse in my clown tank YAY!

12. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

Congrats with everything! ;D