OK, meeting detail for real!

Discussion in 'RARS' started by PackLeader, Sep 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

wait did i miss this?

2. Click Here!

3. RickGrimes

RickGrimes Spaghetti Worm

Meat is murder, yo

4. psiclone

psiclone Purple Spiny Lobster

No it didnt happen due to flu i think

5. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Ya, Packleader and his family got the flu real bad.

6. psiclone

I think I may go check out the meeting down at petco today. I'm jonesing for some saltwater action.

7. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Im gonna head over too. If I get off in time.

8. Click Here!

9. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

I am glad a few of you might make it, I hesitate to advertise on this site as it belongs to RARS. I am considering a joint club forum on another web site, any thoughts one way or the other??

10. psiclone

I think a joining might be possible in the future. What we really need to setup is a decent saltwater supplier that isn't price gouging the hell out of us.

Also I dont think I will be able to make it today I can't find a ride and I'm not allowed to drive on my pain meds :(

11. TahoeMtn

TahoeMtn Flamingo Tongue

Well not many folks made it, I was pretty disappointed, but we did learn some good and bad things while we were there ...The fish crew at the S. Virginia store is TRYING to make a difference, they have an uphill battle against a big box corporate mentality. They are very restricted as to what they can do to their equipment, they have to use what comes straight from marineland with no modifications.
    BUT they are part of a "Magnet program" which is allowing a local district manager (that cares about SW) to work with this and the Northgate store in putting up a frag tank. The S Virginia store also has a not for sale display tank that is working through the new tank symptoms.

They have a larger list of items that they can order from than other same brand stores that includes more fish, more corals, and more equipment! They also told us that we can special order items and we can pick them up in the bags if we ask and can be there in a reasonable amount of time after the order comes in. (The LFS's also do this)

I personally don't get my water there I make my own, but I was still discouraged to hear that they make their SW with filtered not RO or RO/Di water. The powers that be will not allow them to get a RO/Di unit. It was suggested that we could let the national corp know through their survey (on the receipts) that RO/Di is the only way to make SW.

I hope I have been able to do this without dissing our host because they were very happy to have us there and were very candid with their answers. Only by asking their corp offices in what I hope could be a civil manner will things change. As with other types of businesses Big Box is taking over the market, especially in this economy. We still have a choice to go to a couple of LFS and I know that there is good and bad at each of them. Unless we support them they will all be gone and we will be forced to get everything online or drive 100 miles. If you have a problem with a LFS let them know what your problem is and why you feel that way, otherwise how can we expect change.

As far as I know we have the box stores, Pet Station in Truckee and S Lake Tahoe, Jans Tropics in Carson, and two online locals Tahoe Coral and Fish Farm and (correct me if I am wrong ) Reno Corals. Does anyone know of any others?

Thanks for letting me ramble

12. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Jerm and I are up for a meeting. Its been a really long time. Our tanks (all 3) are up and running beautifully these days. Frag swapping is def an option.