Odd Bacteria/Algae bloom on SPS coral

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Jason McKenzie, Dec 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

[​IMG]

You can see the Red Bacteria/Algae light side up on my yellow slimmer. This Red Bacteria/Algae will grow on any freshly cut SPS coral and a few pieces that are high in the tank closer to the light and in higher flow areas.

My Tank is running ZEOvit for over 18 months. with out any problems. It has lowered my nitrates to undetectable levels and Phosphates are at <0.003ppm. I have been struggling with Alk levels but believe I'm maintaining 8.0 DKH now.

One other point that could help. I had added a prop tank just before this started. The light spill from the MH in the prop tank caused a massive Red Bacteria/Algae bloom in my sump and ZEOreactor. I took the sump off line and scrubbed it out. I also scrapped the ZEOlith in my reactor and started fresh.

I speculate this error of allowing the light from the frag tank to create the Red Bacteria/Algae bloom is the cause of this bacteria, but I'm wondering if anyone would know of how I could resolve the current Red Bacteria/Algae from growing on cut SPS and otherwise health SPS colonies

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

this stuff works on reef tanks and wont bother the sps
    can be used periodically for maintenance
    dont use zeo, skimmer, uv or carbon when your using it
    Boyd Chemi-Clean 2g (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Medications > Red Slime/ Cyanobacteria Removers )

do you have a refugium? if so why? zeo doesnt recommend it. and with the amount of livestock you have the zeovit would need to be changed within 6-8 weeks. zeo also recommends weekly water changes with constant parameters. your dKH is 8 which means your Ca should be @ 420, whats your Mg and Sr? do you run carbon?

cyano algae wont grow just because of the lights. nutrients will fuel the cyano if there is a problem health wise with the corals. cyano also fixates nitrogen, so increasing the tanks internal flow with a wet skim should counter it. how old is your sand bed? keep in mind cyano is associated with black band disease.

4. Jason McKenzie

Unfortunately it's not cyano. it is more a bacteria bloom. No I have no Refugium.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

theres more than one type of cyano

6. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

maybe its a type of Coraline algae

HI,
    My dead rock turns a light pink after it cycles up just before it becomes covered with coraline.
    Is that dead coral rock from a lps?
    doug

7. Jason McKenzie

I've had several local friends who I would consider SPS experts as well as Calfo Id it as a red/black bacteria or Algae. None thought it was Cyano.
    I know it's hard to tell by the photo but in person it's not like any type of Cyano we have ever seen.

J

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

hate to break the news to ya but red/black is a form of cyano, which means your tank is out of balance

10. Jason McKenzie

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It looks fuzzy J, is that right?

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

That looks like black band disease aka Filamentous cyanobacteria.

When was the last time you changed your ro/di???