Oceanic is making salt now!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Salt;num=1080587253;start=30#42 date=01/28/05 at 02:35:44]We now return you to our regularly scheduled salt prgramming. ;)[/quote]

[smiley=hehe.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif] Sorry Craig It was a weather update you know how they cut in to your normal programming[smiley=hehe.gif] [smiley=hehe.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Back to the salt news: "In San Diego today...." ;D

I was having a problem with the balancing calc and alk levels with Oceanic so I recently switched to Marine Environment and I am very happy that I did. It is a little more expensive but, all in all, well worth it to me. and the shipping is free! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Drew

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

The weather Forecast for upstate NY has ended now back to your regularly scheduled program. ;) ;D

Now back to 3Reef's discussion on Oceanic sea salt mix :-*

Yes Marine Environment Is the top rated salt mix from what I have read But as of yet I haven't had a reason to switch from Oceanic Salt mix, But if I did switch Marine Environment would be my 1st choice................ John

6. Craig Manoukian

Marine Environment 2 Part salt user for over a year and everything is fine so far. Much better than IO, Reef Crystals, etc. IME

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I concur, Craig, using the 2 part ME also and liking it!! I got the 50gal size and figured the additive to be 4ml to 10gal. Does that sound right?

The Oceanic was a good start for me but seemed inconsistent, with the calc especially, and the MeqL was 2.5 a good starting place but hard to get both calc and alk up to 400-450ppm calc and 3-3.5 alk MeqL. PH with Oceanic did seem stable at 8.2 and salinity 1.024.

With ME 2 part it is easy to maintain PH 8.2-8.3; calc starts at around 380-400; alk starts around 2.8 MegL so with B-Ionic daily I'm able to keep the PH at 8.3; calc at 420-460; alk at 3.0-3.3 MeqL. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Does this sound about right?? I am new to this and have just a few corals, only 1 LPS, but the coralline growth seems to deplete the calc pretty quickly. Magnesium is staying at 1390, salinity is never a problem :)

Drew

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

I have the same experience Drew!

10. hunterd_67

hunterd_67 Plankton

I had no luck with Bio sea marine mix from aquacraft, then i jumped on the band wagon with oceanic, big mistake, hair algae, cyno, no coaline growth, things died, bad readings, sg would keep going up, alk low, ca at 500 +, and a mg reading of 1600, i just recently switched back to IO, and so far i have seen an impovement, i was useing ro water from a culligan machine, until last week.