Oceanic is making salt now!

Discussion in 'Salt' started by Matt Rogers, Dec 19, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Sorry to hear about the losses, that is not fun at all! I started my tank with Oceanic salt about 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure about how stable the ph and calcium are supposed to be, as I've already had to use a buffer and kalkwasser supliments to keep things up to specs. However, I buy my saltwater for changes pre-mixed from a LFS. I think they use a mixture of Oceanic and IO. I'll add more as things progress...

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I once again plug the Marine Environment 2 Part salt You won't be disappointed!

4. wds21921

wds21921 Plankton

Just to update, my tank was eventually wiped out. I have posted the results on another reef forum extensively as well as asked indivdual mfgs to start lot and or batch numbering there salts for tracibility purposes.

If you would like you can see my postings as well as an independent testing on www.reefcentral.com
    My postings are in the "Delaware Reef Club" forum under "Horrible results>Oceanic" .
    I've also posted inder the "Reef Chemistry" forum under "Randy help, serious desperate question" and "Manufacturers Accountability, why not?"

After repeated contacts to Oceanic Systems in concern to there salt product, I did not recieve a reply until I informed them I would be posting the results publicly.
    I provided them with a day by day account as to what was happening as well as all test results which went ignored.

If you have the time and care about your system I would recommend reading some of the postings. I leave you the hobbyist to draw your own conclusions after you've seen some of the facts and decide for yourself.

5. Craig Manoukian

Thanks, I will stay away for sure!

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I ordered Marine Environment 2 part........in part due to this thread..

7. Craig Manoukian

You won't be disappointed! Keep me posted. Just did a 6 gallon water change last night and the tank is perrrfect!

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Mike says HI! He is really nice ...over there at Aquacraft ;D

10. Craig Manoukian

11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I had the same problem with the salinity, 1/2 cup per gallon in a 30 Gallon mix only brought it up to 1.17 at full temp. about 79-80

Strange

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Thought I would resurrect this thread to share my recent Oceanic Salt experiences. I was buying saltwater from my LFS until I decided to test it and found it has a SG of 1.020. While this is fine for FO systems, it made keeping the SG up on my reef rather tough. So, I started mixing my own saltwater using Oceanic.

I recently heard some complaints about low Alk and high Ca with this product, so I decided to check a few things out for myself.

First, my tank:
    SG: 1.024
    pH: 8.2
    Alk: 10 dkH
    Ca: 420

Since I had the kits out, I decided to test the water I have mixing in the garage.

SG: 1.026
    pH: not tested
    Alk: 5 dkH
    Ca: 500

The high Ca and low Alk do cause a bit of a concern in my book. I may do 1 more change using what I've already mixed and move on to another brand. For those using Oceanic, be sure to keep an eye on your levels!