Oceanic 220 leaking

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by dienerman, Aug 30, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So I just picked up a 220 oceanic with Starfire glass which has a leak at one of the bottom corners. Is it possible to reseal it without separating the glass? Im sure that someone has experience with this. The tank is otherwise in great shape without a single scratch. If i have to separate the glass, is there any trick to the process? I have never done this before.

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Is it under warranty?

4. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

5. dienerman

No. its a used tank that I knew was leaking when i got it. I will take apart all the glass if i need to so that i can reseal it, but if i do not need to I would prefer not to. I was looking for someone that has experience taking one apart and resealing it. Worst case scenario i will take it apart, use the front and back glass from this tank and two from a 90 that I have and build a plywood bottom tank which will be VERY large! It is my preference to keep this one as is though since the whole tank is so nice.

6. dienerman

So I just spent some time watching Youtube videos on resealing tanks. I believe that I have answered my question. For those interested, it appears as if all that needs to be done is to remove all the silicone from all the edges since new silicone does not stick to old silicone. Once the old silicone is removed, tape a border so it looks nice and reseal with new silicone. Wait 48 hours and it s done. Looks very easy. I am going to try this and see what happens. Obviously I will do a leak test after it is finished before i do anything permanent with the tank. I ll post my results good or bad! Anyone with any additional advice before I start please chime in!

Billme likes this.
  7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

I've fixed them in the past. You can fill in the bottom corner from the inside then do what you are currently planning. Should work fine. Allow it to fully cure before you retest.

Billme likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. dienerman

Thanks for the reply. Good boost to the confidence! I plan on doing it tonight.

Matt Rogers and RoloSaez like this.
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

And I do hope you have the correct type of silicone- I'm pretty sure it's the RTV 100 series?

Keep up posted and shoe us before, during and after pics if you can please.

Kudos for taking this on! Karma to ya

11. dienerman

12. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I resealed my 210 with rtv108 doing the same process you are referencing. worked great and no leaks. just make sure you get rid of EVERY last piece of silicone, it takes a while. also it took me about 6-7 tubes to reseal mine (84x24x24)
    also, give the silicone a week to cure too, mine still had a smell after day 5 so its better to wait longer if possible.

Matt Rogers and RoloSaez like this.