Nuvo Aquarium - Mini 38/Micro 30

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by adicus, Dec 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Great looking tank!! What's the "green stuff" growing in your rock?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The green is GSP (green star polyps I believe). It's an old post.

I am surprised the Gyre is not over kill. I looked at them for my 20 gallon and was advised that it would be tooooooo much. I will be interested to see how you like it.

4. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

So far, the Gyre is working well. I changed the flow rate again, down to about 20%, I think, and aimed the flow more toward the top of the tank. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos of other peoples' tanks, and the flow in my coral now looks like most I have seen. I am so enjoying this new hobby (I had fresh water tanks years ago) that I am already thinking about upgrading, and the Gyre will easily move to a larger tank. But for now, everyone in the tank seems very happy with the water movement, with the possible exception of the feather duster worms, which are looking a little frazzled, but they continue to push out their fans, nonetheless.

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

you get the 130 gyre?

If you have not already start a thread with your tank. We love details of equipment, dosing if any, and lots pics.

Chuck Warriner and Corailline like this.
  6. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Yes.. FX130, I believe is the designation. And so far, I just have a basic set-up of a Nuvo Micro-30. I'm still looking for a good skimmer that will fit in one if the "sump" compartments, which currently just have a bag of Chemi-Pure and one of the filter baskets. I have a Current Orbit Marine LED light with a 24 hour ramp timer, a National Geographic tank heater (the heater that came with my original set-up burned out when the water in the sump compartment where it was located fell below the minimum water level and I had to run to PetSmart early one morning to pick up a new one - not the best heater, calibration is way off, but it does have an auto shut off if the water level drops, which, of course, hasn't happened since I got the new heater), and my Gyre 130. No dosing at this time as I'm just getting started with corals. I do a 5 gallon water change every other week, and only use water (salt and make-up) from my local aquatics shop. Any suggestions as to must-have equipment and dosing, etc., will be appreciated. Oh, I do add micro-plankton with each water change as well.

Corailline likes this.
  7. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Still looking for a good protein skimmer. Any suggestions? I bought a JBJ SK-45 at a local aquatics shop yesterday, at their recommendation, but haven't set it up yet because the reviews I read aren't the best. The biggest sump compartment I have is about 4.5" X 5" X 19", and this one will fit, but I'd like to find one that will do a good job. Even the one they had running in the store was only producing murky water in the collection cup. They said they needed to adjust the air flow, but from what I read, that may be the best it can manage. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm afraid I can't help on the skimmer. I would suggest having one though. I just had a comment that your tank looks great! Your rock looks to have a lot of coralline on it - very pretty!

Chuck Warriner likes this.
  10. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

Thanks for the comment! I'm not sure I know what coralline is, but I'm going to look it up when I finish posting. :) I'm trying to figure out a way to get better pictures. My light has so much blue in it that it's hard to get a good, representative picture. But I'm going to try again and see what I can do.

11. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton

12. Chuck Warriner

Chuck Warriner Plankton