Nice Cheap DIY Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wrang

wrang Plankton

Will this work do you think

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Cool the overflow has gone international. The front pipe hangs in the tank and the back pipe and Tee hang on the out side of the tank. The water enters thru the front open pipe and exist thru the Tee. The back open pipe is just a vent and siphon break. It takes long to understand than it does to build. Good Luck

4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I am kinda of confused are you adding it to a sump or a tank with a existing overflow? I am not quite getting the drawing

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

If my metric to standard conversion is right. That would give you 2" or 4.5cm you can fold the parts of the overflow back and forth on each other. You should be able to fit it in that space.

6. wrang

wrang Plankton

Yehaa i haved found this forum and seen your DIY owerflow and plan to upgrade my tank with anouter sump and skimmer so the intern sump in the tank will just get a bypass to the PVC overflow..

The new sump will stad under the tank and want to take the water down in this small part. Today there is a cabel hole so the cabels is under the tank

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  7. wrang

wrang Plankton

Im will have it on the intern existing sump in the tank. This sump today will just be a bypass to the new sump under the tank

How mutch do you think a 20mm (0,78 inch) pipe will work or is it to small. I just want 1000-1200L/h (264-317Gallon/H) back to the tank again

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Standard to Metric.::) that is now NASA crashed those MARS landers.
    From what I have read 3/4" overflow will be able to move 300 GPH. That should work.

10. Trickman2

Trickman2 Bristle Worm

Cool design and looks easy to make

11. fidojoe

fidojoe Astrea Snail

I will be using your design within the next month Covey. It looks like a great design. What diameter pipe would you suggest for a 50g? I am looking for about 400gph. Also how far below the first 90 that goes into the tank does the strainer sit? Or does that just vary be desired water level?

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

400GPH you might be able to push 3/4" but I would probaby go 1" to be on the safe side. The strainer sits at water level. I suggest you cut the intake pipe long and just trim it down to get the water height you want.