Nice Cheap DIY Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Yes, post some pics when you build it.

2. Click Here!

3. zionz

zionz Plankton

Let me first say hello everyone.. I did this this weekend on my 55 gal the 1st time I did it took me about 2 hours I glue everything together only thing I did not do was the little air valve put it in the tank and boom no problems no leaks or anything.. Great right !!!!No the next day I realized I did not like the placing of the sump and wanted to move it so I made another one this time not glueing hardly any pieces and this time I cant get it to start syphoning... Not sure whats the problem? Is it cause I did not glue it does it have to be glued to make it work... Please help I really like this design... By the way I am using 1" pipe and this thing really moves some water I am using a mag 5 as a return and it is barley keeping up with the overflow .. Whn it was working that is ... Please Help

Thanks
    Joe

4. zionz

zionz Plankton

ok I went home on lunch glue almost all of the connections except the parts that go inside the tank and the t so I can move it around and I shortened the length of the pipes on intake (the part that goes on the inside of the tank thinking maybe the outside needs to be lower than the inside tryed to get it to syphon again and still no luck it had a constant little trickle but not much not like it was before I am not sure what I did wrong the 1st time went so well... Please help me I really like this and it was working so well for me at first

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You do have to glue the siphon pipes. The overflow runs on a siphon so the up and over have to be airtight to work. Keep the inside and out legs even. Since you have the "constant little trickle" I am pretty sure the new overflow is just not primed all the way. You got a big bubble stuck in the top of it. That is what the check valve is there for. Without the check valve it is a little harder to prime. Do you have any pics?

6. zionz

zionz Plankton

Ok I got it to work and work really well I might say better than it was before... What I did as I stated before I had shortened the intake section of the setup ( the u that goes inside the tank) and then I made the outflow part of the setup longer (the part outside of the tank) made it long enough so that it hangs well below the bottom of the tank . Started my syphon and bam works really well oh yeah I did also glue everything exceot for the part that goes inside the tank so I can move it to suit my needs.... I do Have pic. I will post this sometime this week for all to see...

There is 2 problems however 1. I will now have to buy a bigger pump cause my mag5 cant keep up ..... GOOD THING 2. How do I get rid of the toilet sounding noise from the intake it is really loud sucking noise .. There has to be a way

Thanks
    Joe

7. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

I was always told to keep the legs level. I would test that set up completely before I trusted it. A big tub and a garden hose can simulate a lifetime of power outages. Just make sure it works before you trust it not to flood your house. The overflow should only run as fast as the return. So I don't quite get "my Mag5 can't keep up" bit. Mine is dead silent so I am really wondering about your setup. Lets see that picture.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Thinking about it. The longer outside leg I think is causing the toliet sound. With that setup it is dragging more water thru the setup but it causing the level in the intake tube to be much lower. Causing the noise. A guess at this point.

10. zionz

zionz Plankton

Ok here is the pictures... I will tell you what I have been running this for the past few days and it is working like a champ I have even tested it to see what would happen if the power went out and the pump shut off and then kicked back on after about 30 min. And the overflow started right up again with out delay.... I think I will stick with this one a while my alter it a little but it gives me something I can play with

Thanks for all the help
    Joe

Attached Files:

• of15.JPG
      of15.JPG
      File size:
      18.9 KB
      Views:
    • of4.JPG
      of4.JPG
      File size:
      21 KB
      Views:
    • of7.JPG
      of7.JPG
      File size:
      21.5 KB
      Views:
    • of11.JPG
      of11.JPG
      File size:
      18 KB
      Views:
  11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

You might want to look at building a strainer for the intake. Snails have a real good time jamming up in it. Good job. I have had a dozen people ask me about the over flow it nice to see another person make one.

12. wrang

wrang Plankton

Covey:

I dont realy understand were the inlet water is in this picture.
    It would realy nice to make one of these owerflow
    Is it the front pipe that is in the tank and the back pipe and T-pipe ho goes to the sump?

[​IMG]

Best regards from Sweden!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2005