Nice Cheap DIY Overflow

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Covey, Feb 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Before someone asks. The front U hangs in the tank. The back U hangs out of the tank. Water flow in thru the short open pipe,up and over the side, and out thru the T. The tall open pipe is a vent and you use it to prime the overflow.

2. Click Here!

3. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Here it is in the tank in its original design
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  4. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

As is it worked fine but someone out there has got to be think won't this thing clog up. Well the original design on Reef Central didn't have a strainer and there was some debate wiether you needed one or not. It is a 1 1/4 all the way to the sump. So what ever goes in the top will come out the bottom right. WRONG!!!!
    It turns out that a turbos snail is the perfect size to get stuck in one of these. Fortunally the I had the good luck the the snail deside to make a trip down the pipe right as I got up to feed the fish. So I managed to turn the return pump off before any flooding happened. So I had to make a strainer. I add another 90 elbow, a cap, and a strainer made out of a section of pipe

Attached Files:

5. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

It works better now I think the strainer increases the surface skimming of this overflow. The strainer assemble is just snug fit on not cemented like the rest of it. I am real happy with it it move over 600gph no problem and cost under $30
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Here is a main view

Attached Files:

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Nice job on the overflow Covey!! I had to put a plastic sheet of 1/8" diamond grating in my weir to stop the stupid peppermint shrimp from taking a rollercoaster ride!! I kept finding it in the return area every morning looking very smug that it had figured it out. Good thing I have a strainer on the return pump or shrimp sushi would have been on the menu that morning! ;D

Drew

8. Click Here!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

what is the contraption on the top of the 90 degree elbow at the top of the picture

10. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

No way another Clayton ;D. That is the strainer I made to keep the turbo snails or anything esle for that matter from clogging the overflow.

11. festus

festus Plankton

Thanks for all the info on how this went and how it looks.

Is it quiet ?

12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie