New SWC cones

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by xmetalfan99, Feb 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. slocal

slocal Doot!

The 160 is in the sump and running now. Just trying to find the sweet spot for it. It's in 8in of water. I'm wondering where to set the water level. Right now I have it where the microbubbles just reach the white ring where the cone transitions into the column. Very, very quiet!

2. Click Here!

3. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

I found the best water depth to be between 6-7" but your location as a bit further south than me so it will probably be different for you. But where you have the bubbles meeting the cup sounds about right, just keep an eye on it. Make very small adjustments and don't do it right after feeding as the skimmers production will slow down for a bit after feeding.

They work awsome and you will be very happy...
    Cheers
    TJ

1 person likes this.
  4. slocal

slocal Doot!

Great! I have egg crate on hand in case the break-in doesn't go as well. I can't believe how quiet this is compared to the Remora on my 29g. Thanks for the help, TJ.

Hmmm, Regina.....does that make you a Roughriders fan and a heartbroken Winnepeg Jets fan?

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I'm assuming the 160 runs similar to the 120, and when I was running the 120 I found that having the bubbles right at the bottom of the white ring was perfect. It pulled a nice dry coffee colored skimmate when set there.

6. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Mine is in that exact same spot. I had to close the pipe almost completely to get the bubbles at that point. Is this normal? I have the air all the way open.

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I also ran the 120 in 8" of water. I had to almost close the pipe down to get the bubbles up there, but after about 24 hours it became much more sensitive to my adjustments and I could easily get it to overflow into the cup.

They only take about 24 hours to break in and start running more normal, so it won't be a long wait for you guys.

We ran one of the SWC skimmers at a show awhile ago and within about 5 hours it was running like the exact same model I had been running for a month. I'm not sure if it's something about the manufacture process they use or if they somehow clean more of the oils out before shipping, but whatever it is they break in faster than anything else I've seen.

Pictures?

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

10. coupester

coupester Astrea Snail

Wait a minute...I just looked on elite reefs site and they're giving away free SWC t-shirts? ;D

I didn't get one with my order LOL

11. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Roughriders all the way .. :)

Impressed that you knew that....karma for you :)

1 person likes this.