New slim skim skimmer! Verse coralife 65

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by cosmo, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If you have to lower your cup to get nog that's ok..how long's it been running?

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Here is one day of skimmate.

[​IMG]

4. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

It is producing lots of bubbles, I've had to create some dividers in the back of the biocube chamber 2 to break up the bubbles and give them time to reach the surface and pop.

The skimmer has probably been running for about 45days or so. The picture of Seano's one day of skimming looks pretty accurate for me as well.

Better than nothing I say, it's still pulling out fish poop, particles, ect. Just wish I could get it to run more efficient, it's a lot of water loss if you add up it up over a week

5. NanaReefer

I get the same thing with my Reef Octopus nano skimmer. No matter what it runs wet.

6. Seano Hermano

I found that if the water level is as high as Hydor suggests (to the logo stamped in the skimmer) that, it skims too wet and does not produce bubbles well in the skimmer neck.

In my photo above, I have it running so the water level is below the logo, just near the top of the teeth on the front.

I just secured a rock in my display earlier and when my arm was in the tank the water level rose (duh). The skimmer didn't seem to like that too much and it wasn't skimming as well. I unplugged it, adjusted it as needed, and plugged it back in.

7. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I don't think I have my manual anymore - where on earth SHOULD the water level be if the suggested height is too much? If the water level gets much lower than that I don't even know if I'll catch anything

When the skimmer is running with the water low, it still makes a lot of bubbles and they kinda pop and a misty spray comes up from the skimmer. Is this spray what I'm trying to be catching in my collection cup, or do I want actual foam to spill over into the cup?

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

You want actual foam to build up in the neck and this will be pushed up and out.

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ashe, mine did this at first but I'm getting good foam now with the water line just at the bottom of the hydor logo! I'm guessing you're water is too clean!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

This is what mines up too!

Attached Files:

12. Seano Hermano

Awesome, Cosmo. Where is the "neck" on the larger Slim Skim? Is that it in the front side of the cup?