New slim skim skimmer! Verse coralife 65

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by cosmo, Nov 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Ok these are the before of the coralife 65! Notice how ugly it is in the tank and above it! But notice the dark a55 skim mate! That's 4 days! Not shabby an after tuning it in was pretty drama free! Took a few mods that is kinda embarrassing the manufacturer didn't do themselves! But oh we'll it worked good was just ugly and the girlfriend nagged me enough! Soo........

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Yay! I got the Slim Skim Nano for my 29g about 2.5 months ago. Previously, I had a Coralife skimmer as well. :D

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

So here's the slim skim! $125 delivered!

Pros when I get rid of that background and paint a darker color it will blend in! Inside of the tank so no flooding worries!!!!!!! Pretty low maintence.....I think!
    much much much much easier to adjust than the coralife! Like 1000 times easier!
    Already pulling some skimmate!

Cons: directions sucked think it was for another model, the pump bracket barely stays put so I had to rubberband it! All in all easy set up just forget the instructions and look at it! Time will tell con microbubbbles aren't near as micro as the coralife but if it skims it skims! Updates in a few days!

Attached Files:

5. Seano Hermano

6. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

seano, i followed you on that and because of that and nanreefer got it! Let me ask you a few questions! When putting the pump assembly together did yoou have problems getting it to stay together? and, did you have to secure the pump assembly via a rubberband or something to quiet the vibrating? I have my right in the corner which i know is a primary cause of this but wondered if you had those issues at all/

7. Seano Hermano

Hey, it's cool to see I've influenced others to purchase a product. I talked to Sticksmith and nanareefer. I know they were both looking into this skimmer too. Hydor is a good company. If I like something, I am definitely going to tell what is good about it. If it was bad, I would mention that just as well though. I was pleased with their Koralia pumps and I think this skimmer is another great product on their part.

I've noticed all pumps vibrate during operation. But the magnets on my koralia nanos definitely muffles the sound all the way. I think it is the same way with the skimmer. I have it in my display tank again because my sump pump broke, but when I had it in the sump, I still used the skimmer with the clips and magnets. When I undo the magnets, I notice a humming noise of the pump again. It's silent otherwise.

No, I have not had to secure the pump in any way. For a few days, it was making some off and on humming/vibration just recently. But I took it out of the tank, and cleaned it all up and put it back in. It now runs quietly again with no problems whatsoever.

Yo are running it with the magnets holding it to the glass?

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If y'all must know I just put a pretty sweet PSP bundle for sale on our local CL, so I can get my Slim Skim-lmao! That's desperation or true reefer addiction for ya ;)
    Keep the reports coming guys I'm right behind ya's :)

10. Seano Hermano

haha. That's an addict!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Nanareefer, its already skimming and not that bad of color, not black yet, but its getting some stuff! Cant wait to paint the back of the aquarium to help hide it more! i'd say get it! Or buy my coralife 65! sell it cheap! Honestly i don't know why these get such bad reviews! They skim great, just ugly for a hob! in a sump, it'd be great1

12. Seano Hermano

My skimmate is usually a light tea color. I hope I can get some fish soon to actually show how well it really skims.