new skimmers

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 7, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Well, yes I'm still having trouble posting the pics, I went to www.photo.net as you recommended and uploaded some pics of my remora. After trying to post them, only small squares came out. The following are the links to the photos. Please help!

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=890457
    http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=890467

Also on the sand issue, I like the low profile look I get with 2" of sand, is it very necesary to add another 50 lbs? or could I get by with that amount only...maybe get by with adding another 20 lbs of Caribsea Live Aragonite? Is there much benefit with this king of synthetic live sand? ;D The latter option would give me 70 lbs.

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i checked out different skimmers in different price ranges. as for the remoras they kept coming up as the best rated for the money the remora and remora pros. thats for the high end prices. for the lower end prices i think the prizm (new design) is one of the best for the lower end and more affordable price range and that 2 was one of the higest rated ones on the market

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

hey JP -

when I click on your photo links, i get the following message:

This photo doesn't exist or its owner has disabled public viewing.

Sound like if you figure out how to inable public viewing you will be all set.

As far as the sand goes, I hear ya, I don't like tanks with a ton of sand - always reminds me of an ant farm - but at the minimum, i would go with 3 inches which is the lowest people recommend for DSB. Lower than that and you really aren't getting decent denitrification going on. Another 20 lbs. should do that. I think Karla has that sand you are talking about. Caribsea is a leader for a reason, so I doubt it sucks, but whether it's worth Caribsea prices, I don't know! Good question.

5. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Thanks Matt, unfortunately Home depot & the other hardware store do not carry southdown or yardright in El Paso, TX, they have a cheap brown sand that is not aragonite, so I'm forced to pay $36 for a 30 lb bad of Caribsea DS or the same price for a 20 lb bag of their live stuff.

Thanks again for the tips. oh_yeah

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

No prob! :thumbsup1:

I'll come back later and see if you figured out that 'public viewing' picture problem! :razz:

7. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

quite a few people use qik crete sand with no problems also that may be available for you since there are very few hardware stores that dont carry it. and i have used the caribsea sand i have a mix of that and the dry southdown sand. i have another sand in the mix its called ultra sand its like 2-3 bucks a bag and never any problems with that in the tank that i found at a couple pet stores says its safe for fresh or salt water. maby you could check out a couple of stores and save yourself some money. it comes in natural or several different colors. i originally went with the pink color and being mixed with the other sand does sortof give it a slight hue in color. they have black, green, pink, blue, natural, and yellow that i have seen.

8. Click Here!

9. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Thanks for the info Karla! Isn't quikrete sand some sort of concrete? I'll take a look at my local hardware store. :thumbsup2:

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the qik crete sand is a sand used in the mixture of concrete not concrete itself. i have checked into how people make their own lr and i have found 2 types of sand are used in that also the carib sea sand and the qikcrete. i didnt make any rock but that is what i have found. so if they use it in making rock also thats another sign it should be ok for the tank

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Astrea Snail

12. Benjamin

Benjamin Astrea Snail