new skimmers

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 7, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That looks sweet Wolf! oh_yeah

It looks like that is not your main sump, do you have trouble keeping that beast calibrated?

2. Click Here!

3. Wolffvet

Wolffvet Astrea Snail

No its not the main sump and no I really haven't had any trouble keeping it calibrated.I am fixing to go with one big sump and have the skimmer in the middle and the return pump on one end. Right now I don't think the skimmer is very effecient because it is not between the intake and the return

4. clownfish2002

clownfish2002 Plankton

I have the Red Sea Prizm Skimmer for my tank. It's very up to date design and convenient. I highly recommd this to someone who prefers a fine looking skimmer. I hang it on the back of the tank perfectly. I have to adjust the waterflow switch so that the slimming process runs smoothly. I clean the cup every 2 to 3 days and clean the tube bi-weekly. It produces air bubble and current. Quiet motor.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

:thumbsup:I also have a Nautilus skimmer and it is great. I replaced my Berlin Turbo with it. I ran them side by side and the Nautilus skimmer works as well or better than the Berlin Turbo without being so difficult to calibrate or being so sensitive to water levels. I called Kent Marine and if cost is not an issue they recommend the mag 7. :razz:

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Berlin Prizm skimmers

>:( As far as the Berlin Prizm skimmers are concerned I tried one them and thought it was horrible. The Seaclone skimmer I had first outperformed it and was easier to clean. The best hang on skimmer I have used was the Titan skimmer from D&D Marine. I have recently seen that Berlin has a new model for up to 300 Gal. tanks, hopefully they have made some major improvements.

7. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Remora skimmers any good? My LFS recommended it greatly for being maintenance free and reliable.

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

He is on the money. Remoras are considered one of the best hang on the back skimmers out there. Highly recommended.

10. JPfish

JPfish Astrea Snail

Thanks, I just bought one, and WOW am I impressed with it's simplicity, from an engineering standpoint, let me tell you that the fewer components the better it is! The quality of the plastic and again, it's simplicity! I know it's gonna last for a very, very , very long time. (Can't wait to turn it on oh_yeah)

By the way Matt:
    Tomorrow, I'll get my RO/DI water and will turn on everything on to let the the salt disolve and break-in the Remora (as per the instructions) later this week I'll add 30 lbs of aragonite and 20 of Carib Live Sand and maybe some live rock to let begin to cycle. That's my game plan, forgive my naiveness, but I'm reallyt excited about this new hobby and i want to make sure I get everything right!

Well the aforementioned amount of sand give me about 1.5" in my 55 gallon 4' X 13" ?

Thanks for having such a great web-site!
    JP

11. Benjamin

Benjamin Astrea Snail

Just got my kent nautilus skimmer and talk about easy to setup. Got a Rio 2800 pumping it and it has been runnning for aobut an hour now and already kicking up some scum. Was definately easier to setup them my mps 75 on my 29g. Have to get a picture of it and load it up.

Benjamin

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ah man. You guys are killing me! Those skimmers sound great!

You guys are on your way...

Hey JP that much sand will give you closer to 2" of depth, but I recommend doubling that to a bit over 4". You will need 100 lbs. of sand to reach that depth. Glad you like the site. Let me know if you are still having trouble posting pics.

later,

matt