New Rules for 3reef Market Place Boards

Discussion in '3reef Forum News & Information' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothrigoletto

smoothrigoletto Plankton

thanks scammers

I just happen to really need the for sale part and can't access at a fresh 1 day start. Thanks a lot scammers.

2. Click Here!

3. morninwood

morninwood Bristle Worm

I like this. Funny seeing some of the same posts in other forums.

4. JeremyW

JeremyW Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I understand the rules and why you have them, but its a pain for some of us to hit 50 posts when i would like to see what members are selling.

5. culater

culater Plankton

For sale forum

I agree it's a pain in the rear to have to wait to post or buy on the thread. I'm getting back into reefkeeping after about a 15 year layoff and the fact that vendors are the first to offer new products it seems to me that would benefit the buyer if they were allowed to post new items. Spamming is not a posting to sale an item on a forum but it's when anyone start's mass emailing to all to email address they have in there data base. I also think it is good to let people with commercial interests post to the forum it offers more new items to the membership. I also think the reason you don't want commercial vendors to post is that there not paying you an advertising fee. Quote: The intent of 3reef is to share information with others and help our fish. These boards are here to benefit 3reef members - not vendors. One can't benefit without the other and somebody will always benefit from a sale. Will it be the buyer? I think not but it could be if you allowed more sellers. Just my 2 cents

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Exactly. This forum is free to us, but it doesn't run for free. The site costs money to keep running and to help, with that, we have sponsors - legal vendors which pay to advertise and sell on 3reef forums. If a company wants to make money from members of the forum, then they can "pay to play".

3reef users(non-vendors, whom have 50 posts) can sell and buy used equipment and reef supplies all they want - for free - just as long as they aren't doing it to make a buck, but to benefit others in the hobby.

I can understand why you might be upset about needing 50 posts to buy equipment(which I was a little confused about at first as well), but 50 posts for selling(non-vendors) members limits the spamming and free advertising. We have many great sponsors on our website - who all pay to advertise and sell - new companies should get to do the same, but certainly for free.

7. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

The sale section is a dual edged sword. I can tell you this from the forum I used to mod for a different hobby. We orignally had open buy/sell/trade then along comes one post spammer/scammer, so we installed rules for the sale section only. Well that just means everyone moved into the buy section and flooded it with the same crap. So we had to do a X posts & X time rule as well. So while it seems a pain it cuts down on the riff raff you have to deal with.

8. Click Here!

9. Owentl

Owentl Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Could you not make he for sale forum read only for members under 50 posts? If a member under the 50 mark wants to buy something then they can PM the seller.

Just a thought

10. culater

culater Plankton

I understand why your doing it and well I guess the fact that I'm under 50 post is what bothers me LOL I'm just getting back into reef keeping and I want everything NOW! LOL Have a great night, Mike

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

The rules are in place to protect all of us. We have had users in the past under 50 posts that had just signed up, the first thing was to sell & then you don't hear from them. Same think applies to spammers.. After 50 posts you know that they are a valid member of 3reef. Also, just posting Hi, yes, no, really, agree do NOT count as valid posts to cheat the system. ;)

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Paying sponsors have the ability to post their items for sale in their sponsor forums. The Marketplace is strictly for sales/trades to/from hobbiests. 50 posts is not that hard to attain, especially if you spend your time in the "New to the Hobby" forum. As has been stated in the rules, post padding is not permitted and post counts will be reset if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.