New "Reefer" - Wavemakers/P-Heads

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by omard, Sep 29, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi, Posted the below in "Product Reviews" --- but this appears to be a more appropriate place in forum...

------------

re: SCWD Wave machine omard 0 7 Today at 10:14am
    by omard

Hope this is right place to post query...still trying to find way around forum...

Anyway...am new to "art" of Reef Tanking...first tank (55 gal) still in first week of cycling w/45 lbs of lr...am both "excited" and "anxious" about what is going on it that water...

Thinking I may need some additional water movement other then filter/skimmer...both for now and in future...I looked about and found one of these. (SCWD Wave Machine)

Read earlier posts here on product...would like to hear results...also need advice on how/what I need to set it up in tank...recmd size/type pump, etc...

BTW on special at customaquatic for $39.99

Much Thanks,

OmarD
    Silverdale, WA

------------------

Actually am now quite confused about powerhead use in general...what do I really need for my new 55 gal system? --- the SCWD is already on way in mail...does it need powerheads to go with it to make it work?...what kind/size pump should I consider...how does it all come together???? ---

Sorry lots of questions...but really feel I need to get some water movement going in my tank...

Om

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Are you going to use a sump? That's what I'd do, and put a sump pump in that turns your tank over 10 times an hour - that is connected to your SCWD - that returns water to the tank.

SO you don't need a lot of powerheads, but one big pump and then maybe a powerhead or two.

Ocean Runners, Ehiems, Mags, etc.. for an internal pump. Or pay more and get external. Those are more powerful, but louder in general.

And you'll need an overflow/prefilter attachment to return water to the sump.

[smiley=army.gif]

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Or you can do a closed loop set-up with it, having a pump (have to buy in order tom use SQWD) draw directly from the display and returning straight back to the tank. Matt is pretty right on with the 10x return rate, I shoot for a 20 - 30x for over all in tank movement, but thats the environment I'm trying to replicate. Maybe if you go thru what your trying to achieve, ie. corals types or region your trying to replicate, we can be of more help.

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

If you've got an acrylic tank, buy a bulkhead and connect an external pump to it. I love Eheims, Mags and Iwaki's to name a few extrenals. Little Giants tend to be Giant Heaters, so I stay away from their use.