New reef

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by ItsLogan, Feb 19, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ItsLogan

ItsLogan Plankton

Hi, i'm new to this forum. I have kept freshwater fish for years. But now i'm moving up to saltwater. I'm looking at 120G aquariums, but i don't want to spend a fortune on a brand new one. What price should a used 120 sell for? Sorry if i posted this in the wrong place.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Tank pricing is so variable. If you find a tank on craigslist or somewhere else post it here and we can give you a ball park range and whether or not you are getting a deal.

Honestly the tank will probably be the cheap part of the set up.

Do you want it drilled, are you going to drill it?

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef! I have never bought a used setup, but I would expect a complete setup to go for between $1000-1500. It would cost you double to triple that to buy everything new.

5. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

craigslist is your FRIEND ... use it. I have seen 120-150 gallon tanks with stands go for 300-500 bucks. Depends on the what all comes with it. I would expect you to spend $1000-1500 for a complete "turnkey" setup ... Remember most people sell for 2 reasons they are upgrading and don't have room for the old tank or they are getting out of the hobby and just want out.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I agree that the tank is going to be the cheapest part. To put it all in perspective, I have just dropped about 1200 bucks on my tank in the past 6 months with the following additions:

Lights
    Heaters
    Sand
    Controller
    Return Pump
    and a few other small items