Need Help Deciding Which Light to Buy

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by alexander, Aug 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alexander

alexander Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I need your opinions on which light to buy for my reef tank. Here are my tank specs:
    112G DT 60 width 24 height(top to bottom) 18 depth (front to back)

I will either be getting the AquaticLife 4x54 T5 fixture with 2 spare new bulbs for $200 used.
    48 Inch 4x54 Watt AquaticLife T5 HO Light Fixture W/ 4 - eBay (item 200499074326 end time Sep-19-10 12:49:44 PDT)

Or (2) 250w Metal Halide Current USA Sunpod 14k with 12 led white/blue and 2 bulb T5 actincs for $400 used
    http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_viewit...ntent=CU011601

Please help me decide. I've been researching for many hours now and keep going in circles on which one to buy. I plan on keeping soft corals only so MH seems a bit overkill. Do you think the T5's would be better?
    Thanks!
    Alex

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

I am thinking the one above. If you can afford it and have taken into consideration the heat factor for Halides, go for it. You can always go down later on down the road.

1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would go with the MH if I had to pick between the two choices above. However, if you have $400, why not just go with a T5 fixture? ATI and Tek (I think) make a 60" fixture. You could probably use a 4" fixture too.

1 person likes this.
  5. jsreef218

jsreef218 Bristle Worm

I agree I have a 50 reef and I have a 250mh with 2 96watt actinic pcs.. I only have mostly softies but I do have some nice polyps and leathers that appreciate the high lighting.. plus with the mh down the road if u decide u wanna try hard corals u already have enought light imo I wud go with the mh just because u have a lot more options with what type of corals u want to keep plus clams like the high light and there a very nice addition to any reef

1 person likes this.
  6. alexander

Yeah the metal halides are a better deal and will allow me to keep anything I want, but to tell you the truth I really just want a soft coral tank. The only things that I might want that require a lot of light are a clam or an anemone, but I really just want to keep softies.

I'm looking for a light locally because I just bought some coral (toadstool leather, ricordia, hairy mushroom, zoa's, frogpawn) and my 2 bulb 36" T5 VHO 14K fixture isn't making them too happy. I put them close to the light to try and help them but they haven't been looking too good. So I need something pretty quick.

Do you think the aquatic life fixture is not good?

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

It's far from ideal for your sized tank. I would go with at least 6 bulbs over that sized tank. I don't like the idea of limiting your selection b/c of your situation. Get a good fixture now, or at least the one you want, or you will end up spending more money down the road. I'm sure your corals will survive if you need to wait a week to get a fixture shipped to you.

If you plan on keeping an anemone or clam at some point, I would not buy the AquaticLife fixture, I don't think it will work with those high light demanding animals. If I was in your position, I would choose the MH lights.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I just wanted to make a comment about Current lately. They have been very hard to deal with when it comes to warranty issues for the past few months. They use to just send out a new ballast and what not right away, but now you kinda have to fight with them. Just keep this in mind when you decide on the fixture you go with.

i would go with a 6-8bulb t5ho fixture

1 person likes this.
  10. alexander

The T5's seem like too little, and the MH seem like too much. I think I will get the MH or possibly a new 6-8 bulb T5 fixture. I just have to decide between those two, now that the AquaticLife fixture is out of the running. K+ to all of you, thanks for the replies =)