Need Big Tank For Turtle

Discussion in 'Turtles' started by Matt Rogers, Jul 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My semi-aquatic Indo Leaf Turtle (given to me) is nearly the size of a helmet now and sitting in six gallons of water. I have to clean his tank all the time. It's a drag.  :p

So I want to go big, really big and hook up a wet/dry filter.

Looking for creative solutions because fabricating a long and wide tank would cost me a fortune.

Check out this kiddie pool.. almost got it until my Insanity alarm went off. Kinda hard to look normal with a kiddie pool in your entry way.  ;D Wish I still had a greenhouse. This would be perfect- minus the slide an ahh toys. Sweet dimensions.. and the adjustable overflow drain has me wondering.

Berchet Splasher Pool:
    http://www.mrtoys.com/berchet/berchet-splasher-pool.htm

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Have you checked out some of the hard pond liners at Home Depot or the like? My neighbor has a real small one, maybe 10 gallons.....and they go up in size from there. You could use a pond pump & filter....or cut holes for a wet/dry...

The for the outside, you could either build a wood type of housing, maybe some nice wainscoating or paneling...

Depending on the look you want, you could build up around it with lanscapers block....you know the stuff they make retaining walls with around gardens and such. I have seen outdoor ponds set up like this and they look real nice. You could top the whole edge with nice slate pieces (looks good, keeps turtle in!) ;D

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Matt,

No need to ask what was growing in the greenhouse I guess :)

Think Japanese water garden. They look spectacular indoors :)

John

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks all.. I had thought about those.. went to home depot today and those liners were gone.. but the more I think about it, the more I want to be able to see through the sides to watch him swim.

I'm going back to thinking about this 75 show tank I saw for pretty cheap until you count the wet/dry and stand. It's 60x18x16.

Free turtle is turning into a money pit. But I feel sorry for him in this relitively tiny 37 gallon with 6 inches of water. :p

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

7. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I don't know how handy you are but I have seen those pre formed ponds used kinda like a hot tub. Making like a deck going all the way around it. Those ponds would be great for a retro fit easy to drill and add bulkheads. It would also look good in a house. Rubbermaid also makes good water storage containers that could be used, very popular for sumps

8. Click Here!

9. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

11. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey, I like that indoor pond idea,,,if my red-eared sliders keep growing at the rate they are now..I may be making one of those...hey maybe I'll have a turtle room next to the fish room ;)

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=seawillow link=board=Freshwater;num=1090791699;start=0#8 date=07/26/04 at 19:25:25]Hey, I like that indoor pond idea,,,if my red-eared sliders keep growing at the rate they are now..I may be making one of those...hey maybe I'll have a turtle room next to the fish room ;)[/quote]

A " red-eared slider"?

I'm not even going to ask what that could be :)

John