Nano tank help/ideas

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by chefmur, Aug 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chefmur

chefmur Plankton

I was hoping to get some help/ideas on setting up a nano reef tank.I already have a 46 bowfront that has been set up for about 18 months and is doing great,I have an abundance of xenia,shrooms,star polyps and even my leathers are reproducing.I thought it would be fun to set up a nano reef tank in my office.All I would need to add is some rock and move the rest from my tank at home.My question is I have two options:
    1. purchase one of the ready made 24 gal nano fom JBL or Current
    2. purchase a 20 gal glass tank and add a power compact double strip and a hang on the back power filter.

I love the look and neatness of the all in one unit but am concerned that i can not add a protein skimmer,the small internal ones are not great according to posts here,can you cut the back of the canopies to add a small hang on skimmer? and will the 70 total watts of light keep all my corals happy?If I get a glass 20gal I can double the light wattage and hang a skimmer on the back for about the same $$$.

Any thoughts,ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Michael

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I like the 20 gallon idea. Just my opinion.

GLTA

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

5. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

My tank is a 20H glass tank. I've been running it for several months now and it's doing quite well. Just made my first frag.

6. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

That all in one that matt posted would be the best idea.

7. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

20 Odyssea

I went with a 20 Odyssea bow-front cube as it came with 2-36wt 50/50 PC @ $78. I wanted to add my own filteration. I like the canopy as it is a bit more open than all the others I looked at so heat wouldn't be a problem. So far it stays at 78F max. The lights are only 3 inches from the surface, but the filteration I'm using creates very few bubbles so an occational wipe on the tubes and it's good to go.
    I was concidering a MH, but I have a 2x36wt retro that I might add instead if it looks life it's needed. So far the few corals I have are doing pretty good with just 72wt.
    I went with an Emperor 400 HOB instead of sump and it's big enough to place the UV, heater, HOB Seaclone skimmer in or on to keep the tank unclutered, except for 2 maxi-jets.
    Nano's are fun! They take attention and careful planning. I started mine 9-10 weeks ago.
    [​IMG]