My Rebounding Reef Aquarium

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

My neo nano aquarium is on the rebound. A cumulation of knowledge and improvements gained from every setback and curve-ball have finally led to stability and coral growth. It was not easy of course. Every tank is different and a successful routine to be discovered - this one took a while. But I think I am "there" - that magic place we reefers strive to reach for. I better share some photos fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The monti caps are only a couple months old and starting to curve. The digitata came back from the dead. I thought it died off over a year ago. The staghorn are original and have been through hell. They are shooting again. Same with the red planet and aussie coral.

[​IMG]

I love my Coral Beauty. Over the last couple years it has been pretty good but there have been moments. It seems if I put coral directly in its swim path it gets nippy. A few months back I bought a beautiful Montipora from WT that I fragged and gave away just in time to 3reefer rocketman after the fish started eating it. It also nipped at a clam I had when I had sand. It is fine with the corals I presently have though.

[​IMG]

Any know the latin name for this coral? I bought it from WT as a colony, accidentally broke it in pieces trying to get the base off and now it has grown back together. The colors are fantastic.

[​IMG]

This [STRIKE]Aussie[/STRIKE] acropora (told it might be a Tenuis Acropora) is a survivor and the biggest coral in the tank. If you are looking for a coral that can survive low alk and more… this is it. I love this coral.

[​IMG]

This staghorn has been through a lot and it shows. I still wonder it this piece has something I saw on Advanced Aquarist - white disease? It is rewarding me with new growth these days.

[​IMG]

I love this slow grower in the back. Again, I am bad with names - can someone share?

[​IMG]

This coral in the back (a.valida?) was bone white from low alk in the pre-doser 'my God I had a kid' days. Frankly I just left it in the tank. I did not expect to see it come back with vivid green and start to reclaim its former skeleton. So cool to see.

[​IMG]

I turned the pumps off for these shots.

[​IMG]

I am loving my rock work now. Less is more. I've removed about 1/3 of what I originally had and the whole thing seems bigger than its true size.

[​IMG]

I accidentally have figured out how to keep frilly mushrooms nano-sized - a couple years back I nuked them for a few hours with an unshielded new UV bulb.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actinic only. Pumps on.

[​IMG]

I am currently experimenting with a plastic air-line valve instead of a pinch-roller on my Kent Marine aqua doser for kalk dripping. After a week or more of flawless performance it appears I need to flush it out. I still prefer it for its fine-tuning.

Specs

Aquarium:

34 Gallon Neo Nano Aquarium from Deep Sea Aquatics
    * 24" x 24" x 14"
    * Dual 3" x 3" overflow boxes
    * 2 1" bulkhead drains
    * “Cascade" return system

Stand:

* 25" x 25" x 32"

Sump:

* 18" x 18" x 18"

Protein Skimmer:

Warner Marine MF121
    Fantastic 12w skimmer.

Lighting:

Fixture: Aqua Medic Ocean Light (150w halide HQI / T5)
    Halide Bulb: Phoenix 14k
    T5: UVL 22 Inch 24W/40W Super Actinic Bulb 420nm T5 V-HO Fluorescent Bulbs
    Ballast: Lumatek Electronic ballast

This ballast and light combo is simply the best I have ever had. THe color is great and the soft-start electronic ballast has kept the bulb cake free since day 1.

Sump Pump:

Eheim 1260 (630 GPH)

Powerheads:

(2) Vortech MP10s
    synched in reef crest mode

Auto Top Off:

Gravity Fed. Kent Marine float switch and 5 gallon reservoir.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/kent-float-mag-mod-106674.html

Substrate:
    Cutting Board,
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/sand/back-cutting-board-101688.html

Refugium:
    chaeto in sump
    air-injected with bubble disc for better circulation and pH
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/refugium/chaeto-air-injection-133820.html
    6500k (i think) cl bulb from hardware store on reverse daylight schedule with hour overlap

Salt:

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/salt/coral-pro-salt-test-spin-98040.html

Water Filter:
    SpectraPure ProPlus 90 GPD RO/DI

UV filter:
    Aqua Medic 5w. Gravity fed.

Doser:

Bubble Magus BM-T01

This doser saved my aquarium.

Welcome to my new build thread. Thanks for looking.

matt

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    civiccars2003 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Looking great, Matt. Sorry I can't help with names, but congratulations on the recoveries. :)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks Bill. I learn through experience. :)

6. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

The tank is looking great!

7. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Looks wonderful Matt.

How do you like the Phoenix?

I see the Cardinal pair is alive and well, cool.

Glad the Coral Beauty is behaving, stunning fish. So just 3 fish?

Could the coral in the back be a Green Tortuosa? The others I am not sure about, Trent will probably know however.

How long have you been using the Red Sea Pro?

Congrats on getting a handle on the it again it looks really good, a lot of Coralline algae going on.

1 person likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks all!

I love the look of the bulb. Decent growth, but I am curious to see how it compares to the Ushio 14k in my garage. The Phoenix is about 9 months old now if my math is right so I am going to change it out soon. No complaints - especially with the Lumatek e ballast.

Aye. Great fish from ORA.

Yep just 3. Thinking about a royal gramma or six-line. Undecided. I just lost my cleaner shrimp last week. Found in cut in half in the Vortech. Probably died before that though of old age - it was over 2 years old. I won't replace it though. Spot feeding the corals will be a lot easier now.

That sounds right actually if memory serves. Thanks

Since Nov 2010 it looks like based on my review thread. I like it a lot. No problems at all - nice numbers too.

Thanks. Getting the numbers in line with my doser and fixing issues with the hardware all made things come together. :)

matt

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Congrats Matt on getting everything going well again. Some of the corals look like they had light inhibition hence the white coloration.

12. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

Love the low camera angle shots,looks like a little persons dream tank.