My pet store SG is 1.022 .. make it for me too ????

Discussion in 'Salt' started by minajaguar, Apr 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Is there some study were this has been proven? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me that a salinity totally unlike were a fish was born and raised would actually be beneficial to said fish.:confused: I am sure a low salinity will be tolerated by most fish but beneficial??Could this be yet another myth created by an LFS owner who is trying to save money on salt??

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

From what iv been told my LFS still has copper in their system... And they run a low SG too..

I no longer shop from them after finding out they still have copper in their water.

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't know of any study on this actually. I think that one of my LFS that runs a low salinity does it because they found it has worked for them through practice at preventing ich. You can use hypo salinity treatment to treat ich, so it does make some since to me why they would run at a lower salinity.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

This sounds like a catch 22 for me. Maybe the LFS keeps the salinity low to prevent an Ich outbreak at the store, but that salinity is not a good one for the long term health of the fish, which is why we keep ours at 1.025-26, then after that fish gets caught and shipped and adjusted to 1.022, the bagged and shipped again to our homes, it has to adjust back to 1.025-6. No wonder why the poor guys get ich all the time.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

A lot of good replies, here. You're not the only one scratching your head, Vinny. All along and even to this day you will find in the quick stats for fish a recommended SG of 1.020 - 1.022 unless it is housed with corals and inverts, as if the fish came from a different part of the reef where the SG is lower, but it can tolerate swimming near the corals. lol

I agree, Ingtar- the ocean does a great job. Why mess with the parameters?

FTR, osmotic shock treatment requires a much lower salinity to be effective. Maintaining the SG at 1.020 - 1.022 does nothing but save salt and stress tank inhabitants.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It really is amazing Cosmo that any survive at all.;)

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Im gonna have to say Alex is right but shhhhh...god i hope he doesnt read this...lol Ive never seen a better tank than the ocean..

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Well I guess it is time to retract my previous statement lol. Now I am scratching my head as well lol.

11. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

hahahaha

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Salt water fish have to actually drink the water to keep from dehydrating. The salt is excreted through specialized cells in the gills, kidney and skin. The higher the salinity (or salt in the water), the harder the body has to work to get rid of it. This puts more stress on the fish and opens up more avenues for problems. Lowering salinity actually allows a fish to spend more of it's energy on growth and healing, and less energy on maintaining correct salt levels in the body.