My overflowing sump for pico

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Urban_s, Aug 4, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Well I got board a coupld nights ago and my impeller for my filter on my AC20 was not working on my 2.5. I was also thinking on how I could make a funge for my 2.5 then it hit me. I took the 2.5 some broken acrylic, a tube of silicone, a 175gph power head, some aragonite sand and a intake tube off a hot filter. Siliconed the acrylic on attached ph to the intake tube added some sand and then elevated the tank a coupld inches and presto. Now all I need to find is some macroalgie.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

that's using your head! Good luck with that. My lfs gives caulerpa away for free. Hope it works out for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

I've been toying with the idea of doing something like that as I have several unused HOB filters. For a nano it is a great idea and looks like it will work fine. You could put an 18wt easy over it. Keep posting how it comes along.

5. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Hmmm...now you've got me thinking. I've got an Aquaclear200 on my 20 gallon, running with a sponge and some activated charcoal. Would it be of better use to lose the sponge and charcoal and fill the Aquaclear with live rock rubble? Would that make it a microfuge (to possibly coin the term) or just a waste of a filter?

6. Urban_s

Urban_s Sea Dragon

Just the live rubble with some macro alge and a light.

7. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Does the macro need a very strong light?

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

10. apollo'sowner

apollo'sowner Feather Duster

Don't think it would be a waste. Try macro algea instead of rock though. Sand, macro algea and a light would cut the organic load big time in a 20 nano tank and with the lights on the fuge at night the PH and oxygen levels would be higher through the night. I think I'm going to set-up an old Emperor 400 soon with algea and light. My PH runs 7.8-8 in the mornings and I would like to keep it at a steady 8.3 for my 20 nano. I believe subject goes into much detail in the refugium forum.