My New Geissman!

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Servillius, Jan 31, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Let's start with the preliminaries. I loved my ATI. I've always felt a little like LEDs were holding me back, even when combined with t5s. I couldn't put a finger on it but things never felt quite right.

I have tried to studiously avoid arguments about what light is best. Eliminating the variable of LED doubt became, for me, a definite goal however.

My problem has always been getting my wife to agree a light fixture is sufficiently attractive to use in our living room. That eliminated many of the black plastic options. After some research, I decided to try the Geissman Spectra Infinity.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

When we opened it at the store I was concerned. It didn't quite have the weight and solidity of the ATI and I wasn't sure how the powder coated surface would look.

Well, assembled it looks amazing and feels rock solid. My doubts are long gone. It doesn't have the fancy settings that come with LEDs. I have to make do with old school timering of the t5s and the halides. Turns out, that works just fine.

It isn't summer yet, but so far heat does not appear to be an issue. As for my tank, the 20k Radium bulbs look amazing accented with ATI bulbs. It's been a little over a week and growth looks to be picking up, polyps are extending more, and colors are differentiating and showing themselves off. My tank water is actually clearer than it was, my algal growth looks more natural, and there is less dusting on the glass. I'm also seeing corals that we're spending most of their time encrusting start to develop growth tips in more natural patterns.

I'm really happy so far and I'll try to keep you updated.

Kevin_E likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's my dream fixture! I don't know what I'd do without my 20k radium and ATI combo. It looks amazing serv. Can't wait to see updates of your tank with that new light.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sweet, sweet, sweet................I would love to have that fixture, oh and with the Radiums wow. :D

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

6. tattoolew

tattoolew Sea Dragon

I think this is a great looking fixture, anyone would be happy with a Geissman fixture.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so glad to hear you are happy with your purchase. Sounds like your livestock are loving it! :)