My New 120g Tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by builderguy, May 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Any skimmer other then a pinwheel requires pumps that can take back pressure and produce higher PSI. The best PSI producing pump on the market are the Iwaki's.

Matt, nope, full throttle. I've used or had contact with well over 40 of those as the store I worked at blew them out the door cheaply. For what they move, they produce more heat then other pumps IMO. Mags can be run external, he will still get dissepated. Mags aren't a heavy PSI producer and aren't the best for sklimmers, great return pumps though, got many of them. Matt''s right about smaller Dolphin pumps not liking back pressure, but they're external line of pumps are highly effiecent. They're best suited for returns or closed loops. They, however, do produce some larger models that can handle back pressure, most can't utilize a 1 hp pump though :)

I have to disagree with Matt on pinwheels being quiter per se. I found my larger pinwheel skimmer was just a load as my Becket (Becket with muffler is quieter), a little quieter then my downdraft, but my Aqua C EV was quieter then all of them. The Euroreef I have has 2 pumps attached to it, they produce some pretty loud vibrations.

I'm not familiar with the Fug set-up your talking about, I've never bought a premade fug, I've always DIY'd them. Its just a tank that has some dividers, a couple bulkheads and some lights. Custom ones can be had for cheaper then premade ones. PM me :)

Tank, acrylic or glass? Your best bet would to buy local, shipping will kill you on the tank. Tru Vu is just across the San Mateo brige from me, in Hayward. If your looking for an acrylic, pm me.

With a 4 foot tank, the stand is going to be kinda packed with gear. Is it possiable for you to have another tank beside you display, for a fug?

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

2 overflows for a 125g. If doing 1, really oversize it as so the overflowing water doesn't create a huge loud waterfall. A single 1 inch bulkhead won't be enough either.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I didn't think about flow in the overflow... good point and good info G..

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Neither did I when I designed my friends sytem. Talk about Niagra Falls.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

Salutations builderguy...

Great to see lots of questions .... esp. the right ones at outset...

My system is pretty much what you are looking at...125 gal (Allglass w/twin builtin overflows)...and a EV-180 skimmer...

Very happy with it all...greatest noise maker are vent fans for lights (except when stand/canopy fans kick in for cooling...)...then sounds like an airplane starting up in living room...but only lasts a shortwhile as they do the job well. --- quietest fans on market is where I would (and may yet) put extra $$$ when first setting up...

Good to see you here...we all love to watch (and "share in" :D - a new system going up) ---

(no "mistake" that has not been made by someone here - and some of us have made about them all - ;) )

Rgds,

OmarD
    [​IMG]

7. builderguy

builderguy Plankton

Thank you everyone for your input.

So....

Two overflows ea with 1" standpipe/bulkhead

Mag 1200 for the return - no preference on internal or external as long as I get the flow I need - but the descriptions of this pump say it can be run either way.

Iwaki 20 RLT for the EV-180 - external pump and skimmer that means...which leaves room in the sump for the fug.

As far as the fug goes maybe I'll take a standard sump and take the DIY route to get a fug inside it...starting to lean that way anyway.

What do you think of the Coralife Lunar PC setup?

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If just starting out I would go with MH lights.
    Darin at http://www.captivereefs.com is a sponsor here and we get a 6% discount.
    Coral Vue 250 watt MH lights cheaper and bulbs last longer.