My maxima clam , help how to place it including pics

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Flyariv, Jul 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Hello 3reefers

I have my maxima clam on a rock in my tank for over 2 weeks now , i heard that this clam
    Prefers live rocks to plant its byssal , however i tried to place it several time on that rock and well covering the byssal area flat on the rock but i found the clam jumped off the rock on the substrate. The only way i managed now the clam to remain on the rock is by allowing a gap between ita leg and the rock, so u can see in the pic that there is a beginning of a white tissue attaching itself on the rock but the leg of the clam is actually folded to the side.
    I wonder if u have any experience and advices on how to place it so it can attach itself proprely.

Thx all
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Larger clams do perfectly fine in the sand bed. It's far better to leave the clam in the sand bed then to risk the clam jumping again, nothing kills a clam faster than falling repeatedly. Maxima and Crocea are both rock boring clams but will do well in the sand bed also.

It looks like a beauty, congrats.

Mr. Bill and ingtar_shinowa like this.
  4. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

thx Corailline , i appreciate so much your quick responses and great knowledge u have on marine life :) thx for sharing, are u a marine biologist ? anyway thank you so much, problem is i dont have much space on sand bed, and the clam is holding well now for over a week without jumping and nicely open, so i ll continue with that. i didnt understand though the byssal that looks actually like a piece of rock and the white tissue that sticks to the live rock, are these 2 similar ?
    do u know why smaller maxima needs rock and bigger ones are doing well on sand bed ? what is the reason , i am curious :)

Corailline likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If the clam jumps again I would make room on the sand bed for it. The clam could be jumping because it's not happy where it is. As coralline said, your clam will be fine on the sand bed and I agree 100%. Beautiful maxima you got there. Smaller clams IME did fine on the sand bed. In fact I kept all my clams besides my crocea on the sand. I'm sure it's debatable but you just want the clam in good light, stable conditions and low to medium flow.

Mr. Bill, Flyariv and Corailline like this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You're welcome and thanks for the nice words. I studied Marine Biology extensively in college.

Add to that I had a terrible addiction to Tridacna in the 1990's, and love the species.

The Byssus gland is white and looks solid while the Byssal threads look like threads, sometime more dense in the middle looking almost like a ball of thread.

In the wild you'll find both Crocea and Maxima in rock, it's sturdy placement, enough wave action to provide adequate oxygenation and the most intense lighting. I once had a Crocea so long that it did make a depression within my rock work. Both clams types require the most intense lighting so rock placement is ideal. With sufficient lighting both do well in the sand bed, I think Crocea does better in rocks but it's not a deal breaker.
    Larger clams like Derasa and Maxima get big enough that their bulk alone stabilizes their placement. Large clams will often no longer attach to a substrate.
    Daniel Knopf wrote a wonderful book specifically dealing with clams, pick it up if you can.

Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

If you want to keep it on the rock, you can get a piece or two of rock about the size of a golf ball and glue it to the area to make a pocket for the clam.

Flyariv likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Thx All for your feedback, what about the placement of the clam on the rock, u can see the gap between the rock and the shell in the closeup pic, is that ok or the clam should be placed flat on the rock to allow the byssal to plant itself, or as u said i
    Should not expect the clam to attched ot selft, by the way its a 10cm clam.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

If its happy and wants to attach it will. If it doesn't attach on its own I wouldn't wedge the clam in place, I would place him on the sand bed. Sometimes where we want or pets is not where they want to be.

Mr. Bill and Flyariv like this.
  11. Flyariv

Flyariv Flamingo Tongue

Guys here is a video update , i have decided to place the coral on a skeleton of a fungia on the sand, lets hope the clam will be good.
    You can also see the addition of the magnificent Kole tang and other species

enjoy

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 110%

Also, our persistent intervention does little more than add stress. Unfortunately, many (most?) marine organisms lack the mental capacity to understand that we consider them pets and mean them no harm.

Ballgame likes this.