My Experience with Apex DoS.

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Servillius, Jan 13, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I'm not here to attack a good company, but my experience with this device has been less than satisfactory and I think its appropriate to share.

Let me start with the good. I've said before and I'll say it again, the Apex was eye opening. I had a RK and when I finally switched, I was amazed at how much easier this was and how much more functional it seemed. I haven't tried the new RK upgrade- I hope its on a par, but Apex was very nice. They were also very polite throughout the customer service process. I appreciate their hard work, their effort, and their quality products.

On to the not so good. Their customer service process is harming the company with at least some of its customers. My DoS sprang a leak. IT happens, no real harm done. To this day it remains possible that the leak is on my side rather than the DoS side, so my concern is not that there is a problem.

When I called their customer service, I was told by recording to go to the website then hung up on. Apparently they will only deal with you by email. I'm sure thats a fine way to work in some cases, but when there are a dozen different, fairly obvious tests that need to be performed, one email an hour means it takes 12 hours to repeat that the test has already been performed (have you tried blowing on the hose end, etc). Email just isnt a good way to go through a lot of little details.

I asked each time, or most times, if we could get on the phone. The answer was that I'd have to schedule a call. I did. When the call time came and went, I received no call. The explanation? Well, I thought you were just going to perform the latest test I emailed about. I finally received a call in the evening at which point it was obvious we could have saved everyone a lot of time by talking for 3 minutes about what was and was not going on.

The whole process makes it seem like Neptune values their time more than mine. I disagree. I'd much rather do business with a company who takes my time seriously. I don't like to pay a premium only to find out I have to live by the sellers schedule.

Great device, good effort, but wrong attitude about how to approach customer service.

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Thanks for the write up and good info.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Dos? Was is dus?

Ballgame likes this.
  5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

It's a dosing pump by apex

7. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

DOS is Neptunes dosing system for the Apex Controller.
    I had a similar experience with the company I purchased my lights from. I feel your pain. My issue was shipping and lots of waiting.

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

So... nothing about the actual doser yet then. Sucks about the leak and service though. I just got an APEX and was under the assumption their CS was on par with Ecotech, guess not. Its a pricey unit just recently discounted, you would think they would have people ready to help.

10. scajeo

scajeo Sea Dragon

I"m sorry Serv that you had such a bad experience with their CS. A successful company isn't finished once the sale is over, on the contrary, they are the ones that are poised to assist you any way possible once you receive your product. Word of mouth is the strongest advertising albeit good or bad that a company has and bad CS will drive folks away quickly along with their friends. With that said I have to say that I had a totally different experience with the Apex CS. I had lost my display and couldn't log into my Apex via the internet as well. Yes, although, I did have to send an initial e-mail to them I had a phone consult set up within two hours for the same evening. After doing a few tests connecting and disconnecting and them trying to remote log in, I paid a dollar for them to ship out a new display and module. They e-mailed me the return documents for my faulty items and within a few days I had replacements at my doorstep. They never blinked an eye.

If I would've had your experience I'd been furious. I agree with you, this hobby isn't cheap and all of us are willing to pay the extra dollar for the inhabitants in our care and we deserve a little more consideration from companies when issues arise with their equipment.

: Apex, Neptune, DoS