My 10 gallon

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Damsels R Cool, Nov 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

My 10 gallon Tons of PICTURES

ALL PICTURES ARE ON ODD NUMBER PAGES EXCEPT FOR MY FAVORITE # (you'll figure it out when we get past page 15)

finally starting my tank thrend.

ok so here i go
    My name is Dillon i'm 17 and live in west palm beach florida and i awayls loved fishing and awayls kept gold fishes since i was little. last year after keeping 2 tetras and 2 amazing gold fishes i had for 5+ years my littls sister decided she wanted to feed them while i was at school. when i got home all my fishes were dead she dumped all the food in the tank :(. I go to the beach every weekend and when we moved to my current house i had an empty 10 gallon tank so i said why not (keep in mind i've awayls keeped small damsels and hermit crabs alive for weeks in a bucket or contanier when i was little anyone wanting to know it's diffrent when you want to keep them years). ok so i started planing my tank got a filter at wallmart(never again) and did my fresh water test. about a week later i went to the beach and got 5 gallons of salt water and some sand from the beach ( some people say you should'nt but it's working for me) came home put theand and water in and turned on the filter (10 gallon tank 5 gallons of water ?? wtf) worked fine for a coupple of days even had a little sand sifting crab. so the next day i filled the next half with RO water. i thaught nothing about a cycle did'nt know about it so the next week whn i went to the beach i caught about 10 white legged hermits and 14 common shore strimp did'nt test salt so my uncle loned me his salt tester thing and i saw it was low bumped it up to 1.025 and put the strimp and crabs in. everything stayed alive and i thaught ok lets go buy some fish got a YT damsel and a domineo(sp) damsel they stayed for about a week till my uncle came to fl on vacation offered to buy some more fishes so i got a blue velvet damsel (my favorite damsels not counting clowns) and a yellow chromis. he leffed and the next day the chromis died. got my first water test that day Amonia 10+ nitrates 10+ Ph 7.4 salinity was the only good thing at 1.024. a week later i came home from school and my blue velvet damsel was spinning in circles his fin that stablies him had been bitten off. he died that day the next day my domineo damsel died when i woke up so that lefed the YT damsel. so now i know my tank is still cycleing for a month (that means no more fishes) YT died a week later from pop eye and ich at the same time.

at this time i had given away my strimp to my cousin andrew (andrew android) as a welcomed addition to his 110 gallon tank. a week later with my hermit crabs alone in the tank i felt like giving up salt water for good. but some thing inside said stick with it. i had about 10 WL hermit crabs left so i gave 5 to andrew. got the water tested an came back with amonia 5 nitrates 5 p.h still 7.4 (no money for buffer) my lfs said do a water change and my Ph wold go up so i did 3 gallons (way too much)
    went to the beach caught 4 BL hermits 2 sargent majors and 4 unknowns
    within a week 2 of the unknownd dies so i relesed the rest into my uncles tank with his lion fish they died to. remowed WL hermits until 1 was leffed. one sargent major died and here i am about 3 weeks later with perfict water ( did a full test and came back only problem Ph at 8.0 got buffer from andrew and now it's good at 8.2) o almost forgot last tip to the beach about a week ago i caught 15 BL hermits for andrew and 6 for me along with 80+ snails i kept about 30-40 for me gave the rest to andrew.

water still testing good so i added a clown yesterday 11/29/08

tank stats as of 11/30/08

Fishes
    1 sargent major (less than 1/4") going back to his home soon
    1 true precula clown

Inverts
    10 BL hermit crabs 30+ small snails

Corals
    NONE / Comming soon

TANK AS OF 12/13/08
    got my first coral yesterday a mushroom
    sargent major died (he was going back to the wild)

Rock/Sand
    Rock Guestmated 8-9 lbs
    Sand 2" sand bed

12/21/08
    moved entire tank because stand was breaking

12/23/08
    changed the rocks put in new base rock and took out all old rock except the one with the mushroom

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

These are pictures of the tank form the day it started in order

[​IMG]
    the day i went to get my saltwater at the beach

[​IMG]
    the day i got the hermit crabs and strimp

[​IMG]
    first fishes

[​IMG]
    crabs

[​IMG]
    damsels R cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    full tank shot 8/18/08

[​IMG]
    full tank shot with good camera

[​IMG]
    flash

[​IMG]
    flash

[​IMG]
    new fishes that died in 4 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

New pics

[​IMG]

My clown

[​IMG]

first coral mushroom

[​IMG]
    mushroom

[​IMG]
    snails

[​IMG]
    mushroom

[​IMG]
    snail

[​IMG]
    small strimp on mushroom

[​IMG]
    snail

[​IMG]

FTS

[​IMG]
    mangrove

[​IMG]
    my clown cinnamen

[​IMG]
    Blue Leggled Hermit

Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  5. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

[​IMG]

FTS Tank moved

[​IMG]
    FTS

[​IMG]
    new filter 280 GPH

[​IMG]
    Hermit crab shells

[​IMG]
    FTS NEW STUFF

[​IMG]
    green Ricordea mushroom

[​IMG]
    Mexican Turbo

[​IMG]
    The new clown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    FTS

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  6. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

7. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

(RESERVED)
    j/k,
    hehe - nice to finally see a thread for ya! Pop some pix and kick back. :)

8. Click Here!

9. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

i'm going to take pictures hopefully today so you guys could see the difference in the tank

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The velvet damsel is one of my favorites as well. I am thinking about getting one of those if I ever see one at the LFS. So far, in six months, at three different LFSs, I have struck out.

11. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Looking really nice!

12. fishoholic

fishoholic Purple Spiny Lobster

Sounds like the death tank j/k. Stick with it and go slow. I try to wait at least a month between fish, so I don't stress out the tanks system.