Mistakes I made as a Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by inwall75, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nano24ryan, the vast majority of bristle worms are harmless and one of the best members of a clean up crew. If you do not over feed their population will stay in check and you will rarely see them. They maybe unsightly but they are part of a healthy system and it is almost impossible avoid introduction of bristleworms long term. In long run you will have many more things to worry about other then bristleworms.

2. Click Here!

3. Nano24ryan

Nano24ryan Astrea Snail

Thanks corailline I believe you posted on my other post regarding these. I will just keep reading up on the forum and ask questions as I go. I'm trying to read and go slow

1 person likes this.
  4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Oh where to start here:
    1. Humu Humu triggers are reef safe
    2. crushed coral is the best substrate
    3. HOB Filters are the way to go
    4. A 55 is big enough for a yellow tang and vlamingi tang (google that one)
    5. A 2 bulb shop light with Aluminum Foil as a reflector was good enough to grow coral. It did sustain GSP but that was about it. They didn't grow
    6. I'm sure there are many more.

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Don't lie...they were sent from the bowels of hell to terrify all of us

6. Will Young

Will Young Plankton

Great post. I have to say I've done many of these myself. Worst ever HOB skimmers and listening to lfs.

7. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

#1 bi weekly water changes - such a little thing can make a huge difference.
    #2 take your time - don't rush anything in this hobby
    #3 GFO and carbon keeps things clear and clean.
    #4 research before purchase

8. Click Here!

9. TWOLITREmedia

TWOLITREmedia Flamingo Tongue

Not going to lie, thus far in my 4 months of reefing I feel as though I have gone about everything in the right way. I feel as though because of the internet, new commited hobbyists taking on anything new should be able to inform themselves properly enough not to make any gigantic mistakes.

The biggest mistake people starting out make today is probablly just simply not hitting enough buttons on the Google machine ;-)

Thanks 3Reef for the error free start up of this hobby for me!

I am going to assume you bought a cheap HOB skimmer, along with anyone making this complaint. My ReefOctopus BH-2000 HOB works great, doesn't leak, and is scooping all kinds of nice stuff out of my tank.....I feel this claim is invalid without more explenation and can be misinformative in itself.

My tank is tempered glass and couldn't be drilled essentially forcing me to have everything HOB until a tank upgrade for sump space. Bigger mistake would be to say "I used a HOB over flow...."

10. tajhombre

tajhombre Astrea Snail

cycling my 180 with damsels. can't get them out.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Understanding that lowering nitrates when converting from a FOWLR with poor husbandry and tap water is a LONG process :)

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Oops I can't believe I forgot the GIANT mistake .....make sure to have sufficient skimming when you add biopellets!!