Metal Halide Q&A

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Dingo, Feb 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

With that tanks dimensions, I would go with 2- 400 watt Radiums using 2 400 watt galaxy ballasts and 2 full sized lumenmax reflectors. The lumenmax elite strugles and anything more that 27-28" in width. The full sized lumenmax will provide a nice even spread throughout the tank. These are the same reflectors that Sanjay's uses.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

oh wow.. You think I could use only 2 bulbs! What height would you suggest mounting?

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

5. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Attached Files:

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Back to your se vs. de question: it's no that much of a difference other than the mechanics of how the bulb is driven.
    You will find though that the de bulbs can be driven harder. Hands down best bulb on the market is the de Phoenix 14k. 400w radium se comes in at an extremely close second.
    Ushio 14k se is a great bulb also but I know you like a bit bluer so this might not be one to choose from.

Sanjay has three 400w halides on his 500g with the full size reflectors and it is well let. Two should work on the 60" 300DD. It's the width that hurts more than the length

1 person likes this.
  7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The tank is 72"

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Not sure about your heat situation though. Depends on so much more than just the halides. For instance in PA I run a 250w over my tank in the basement. My heaters still kick in during the day to keep it around 79... But in AZ this setup would require a chiller.

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I keep my house pretty frigid... I'm thinking fans could keep me under control.

Why do you like the Phoenix 14k over the Radium. I have always heard Radium touted as the "gold standard" for SPS.

11. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I've run both Phoenix 14K and Radium 20K. If you like more blue look, the Phoenix with a mix of the LEDs I listed earlier might be perfect for what you wanted. The Radium with supplements might be "too blue" for you.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I plan to supplement with figi purple t5s... I have a friend that has that combo and the spectrum looks pretty amazing.