Metal halide 250 watt

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by shantyroxy, Nov 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shantyroxy

shantyroxy Plankton

How can I tell when I need to change my halide bulbs? Also will my anemone inflate itself really big because the light is to weak?

2. Click Here!

3. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

If it is a new Bulb Normal run time on one is 6 to 8 months pending how long your light cycle is . Your Nem will grow larger ( inflate ) itself becase it will like the brighter light. In my experance I had a RBT Nem and it moved 3 times befor it found a home directly under my HQI 150 and grew to the diameter of a volley ball and blocked the light from my other corals.. Here's a pic of mine from 10-3-11. I no longer have it because it took over my lil 24 gal..

Attached Files:

4. shantyroxy

shantyroxy Plankton

it used to be bright purple but lost its "z" how long before it will regain that color again?

5. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

It's always a good idea to replace your metal halide lamps at least once a year. The rated life is much longer and we have do customers that replace their Hamilton bulbs every 13 - 18 months, but for optimum coral growth, once a year is best.

If you wait too long, the spectrum in the lamp will shift. You wont notice this normally with the naked eye. A dead give away is that this leads to unwanted algae growth, even when your water parameters are perfect.

6. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

I am running 3 MH Phoenix 250W double ended bulbs that I will soon be replacing. I am interested in a lighting experts opinion whether there is a better bulb out there or are they all basically the same??

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Far from an expert but I have used a few brands of MH. Radium is my favorite, I do not know if they make a 240 DE though, Phoenix is next for me, Ushio I am not particularly fond of, Hamilton either. Point is no they are not all the same. Phoenix tends to look blue to me, Radiums a slight pink, Ushio turned too yellow too fast for me.
    A word of advice, either acclimate your corals slowly to the new bulbs if you replace them all at one time, or stagger replacing the bulbs. I have badly burned my share of corals not acclimating properly.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Mr. Bill likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Bucsfan

Bucsfan Flamingo Tongue

Great advice. Thanks much Corailline.

Corailline likes this.
  10. Hamilton Tech

Hamilton Tech 3reef Sponsor

Corailline you may want to note what Kelvin of each bulb you used and what particular ballast you used.

Since we redesigned our MH 250 Watt 20K DE HQI bulb, we've had a lot of positive feedback on it - both on M80 and Electronic ballast.

Corailline likes this.
  11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Duly noted, I'll check that out. :cool:

12. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Bingo.

Corailline likes this.