Marty's 180g [My Elusive Shrimp]

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Wut?

2. Click Here!

3. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Marshall, thanks for the great response. The 65g sump/fuge is a guestimate right now. I still need to talk to my LFS guy to get dimensions to ultimately decide, but in a quick chat with him we were kicking around a 65.

RE: the refractometer, it is ATC 50 to 86*F

As far as the sand goes, that's good news. I'll have 30 pounds of nuked LR to start, plus I plan on buying another 20 pounds to cycle with. Adding a few pieces as I go.

I went with those lights thinking that I plan on stocking only soft corals and fish. When i was looking at lights I guess i missed those 32" from RB. I'll give them a look at.

Thanks for the tips! These questions really help me refine and dial in. Much appreciated.

4. Marty

Marty Stylophora

We are at our current limit in our old panel and I am hesitant to add new draw without cleaning up the power situation. It's part of our broader remodel anyway as we plan on adding a room in the garage. So we are having a sub-panel put in. :)

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Ah ok, no worries. I warn one, if you plan to only have softies, you will then say, well maybe just a lower light LPS or two. And so it begins... Just trying to save you $$ from having to upgrade in the future. I am doing it myself in my 55, which I started as a FOWLR, with no intentions of any coral. Now I have 15 frags in the tank (mostly LPS) and looking to upgrade lighting for some SPS and maybe an anemone :)

1 person likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Tentative stocking plan still in work...

Regal Angelfish (minimum for Annularis is 220)
    Max 12" omnivore/gegetables/meats/spongiform/brine shrimp/seafoods

Yellow Tang
    Max 8" herbivore/meaty foods/seaweed/algae

Ocellaris Clownfish x2
    Max 3.5" omnivore/meaty foods/frozen herbivore prep

Flame Angelfish
    Max 4" Omnivore/spiruline/algae/angelfish preps/mysis/frozen shrimp

Striped Blenny
    Max 5" omnivore/crustacians/brine/frozen herbivore prep

Kaudern's Cardinal x2
    Max 3" carnivore/feeder shrimp/bloodworms

Spotted Cardinal x2
    Max 3.5" carnivore/feeder shrimp/flake/pellet/bloodworms

Leopard Wrasse
    Max 6" carnivore/frozen mysis/brine/flake

Linespot Flasher Wrasse
    Max 3" carnivore/zooplankton

This is 58 potential inches of fish for a 180 gallon. According to the compatability chart I should be ok, but a couple are reef - caution.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Alternate stocking plan B

Black Axil Chromis 5-6 each - These are peaceful fish that are reef compatible that can grow up to 4" in length. I read here on 3reef that they do well in schools and I said, yes, I want that. These are beautiful fish with relatively easy care level.

Lamarck's Anglefish 1 each - Peaceful fish and reef compatible which can reach 9" in length. Can be hard to find, but this one will be added later to the tank due to it's moderate care level, it might be best to make sure everything is purring.

Orangethroat Pikeblenny 1 each - Another peaceful fish up to 6" in length that is reef compatible. This one my wife really liked, namely because he is eel-like and I told her no eels to eat my fish and damage my reef. :)

Ocellaris Clownfish 2 each - Relatively peaceful fish, but can be an aggressive eater. These are a must have for me because I love to watch them bob and weave in a BTA. Max size about 3.5" and reef approved.

Green Mandarin 2 each - Peaceful fish that is reef safe, only get to about 4" but with a difficult care level I might have to wait a good while to stock them.

Clown Goby, Green 2 each - Small little buggers at almost 2" max size, but hardy, quiet and reef safe. Easy care level so they will be a good one to stock within the first couple weeks to a month.

Dragonface Pipefish 2 each - Another difficult species to care for, but fascinating. Peaceful, reef safe and can get up to 7".

Powder Blue Tang 1 each - These will have a moderate care level, but they are reef safe. They can be semi-aggressive so I plan on buying a small one and adding him late in the game.

Kaudern's Cardinal 2 each - Easy to care for, semi-aggressive, but do well with peaceful stock. Get up to 3" and are reef safe.

I'm liking this plan a little better than the other one. These may get along better in the long run, but there are a few more challenges with several of these fish which aren't as hardy.

The way I figure it, it is about 85 inches of potential fish. Guessing around 153 gallons of volume after knocking off a few percent of 180g for sand and rock. That leaves me about 1" of fish per 1.8 gallons of volume. A little room to grow perhaps and add a few small fish. Since several of the fish are relative small in body mass and slender I don't think my long term bioload will be too much. Considering I am sold on the Octopus Line 3000I which should be up to the task, as it is rated for 240 gallons I believe.

I'd love to hear some criticisms, or advice on these choices.

Demo of the old office should begin this weekend if everything goes to plan. ;D;D;D

EDIT: Figured volume incorrectly, corrected to be 15% off of total gallons for rock/sand, etc.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  8. Click Here!

9. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Purchased my skimmer and RO/DI units today. Went with the SRO-3000I and SpectraPure MaxCap RO/DI System, 90gpd w/ Pressure Gauge & Purity Monitor.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Inches per gallons is useless in this hobby. A 9" long tang needs considerably more swimming space than a 9" long Lionfish ;) The way I look at it is first and foremost can than fish grow to its max size in the tank. Everything in your list is yes from what I can tell. Then, look at where each will be spending its time. You want a mix of sand dwellers (gobies), rock dwellers (blennies), column swimmers (too many too list), rock "grazers" (tangs, dwarf angels, certain wrasse (like Possum), algae eaters, etc. This way you want have all kinds of fish fighting for the same space. Your list seems to do a good job of what I just explained.

I am actually ok with everything you listed except for the Pipefish. that needs to be a species only tank IMO. Otherwise, you have done your homework it seems!

1 person likes this.
  11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Received some goodies yesterday and today. :)

Closed loop pumps #1 and #2
    [​IMG]

LED 24" fixture #1 of 3
    [​IMG]

Closed loop bulkheads and lock-lines have arrived, minus the 2 each 2" bulkheads on backorder at Marine Depot
    [​IMG]

Loc-line set-up for closed loop return 3/4" 1 of 4 fed from 1 of 2 SCWD's
    [​IMG]

But...we found some leaks in the garage roof, sooo this is a temporary derailment from the fish/theater remodel
    [​IMG]

12. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

Looks good. Here is some food for thought too... I know you said you were going to run a squid, but if your ever wondering.

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 01:37 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Question...

Hi, I have a Dart/snapper hybrid. I wan't to know if running it on a wave-maker set up (constant on/off cycles) is going to be detrimental to the pump.

Let me know Asap as I am running it on an 5 minutes on and 3 minutes off cycle. Its been three days and seems to be doing fine.

Greg

From Reeflo:
    Greg, not harmful to the motor, except it will shorten the life of the capacitor...two things-should last well beyond three year warranty and a capacitor is an easy and cheap replacment
    chris
    our pumps have run on wave makers for years

1 person likes this.