Marty's 180g [My Elusive Shrimp]

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Marty, Feb 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Here is the skimmer I am looking at for my sump. The 568 gph would give me just over 3x turn-over, so if I go 6x turn-over on my sump, is this bad? Should I go one higher and get closer to the 6x as I can for the sump?

AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 In-Sump Protein Skimmer

[​IMG]

SPECIFICATIONS & HIGHLIGHTS
    Volume Rating: 240 Gallons
    Footprint: 6.7" x 9.8”
    Height: 22.8”
    Chamber diameter: 6”
    Outlet size: 1” Quick-Precise adjustment valve
    Pump (included): Modified Sicce 2.0
    Pump power consumption: 22 watts
    Air Intake: 190 GPH (720 LPH)
    Efficient, durable and reliable
    Simple to set up and operate
    Cell-cast acrylic construction
    SCH80 fittings

Quick-Precise adjustment valve allows fast precision tuning of the skimmer water level to control wet/dry foam production
    ShockMaxx rubber feet isolate noise and reduce vibration.

Italian-Made Sicce needle-wheel pump produces optimum bubble size for high-efficiency protein skimming.

Buffer chamber maximizes contact time allowing skimmate to move smoothly into the collection cup.

2. Click Here!

3. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

FutureDoc's Skimmer Thread - The Reef Tank

Do tons of re-search on the skimmer. Don't skimp either on price. Most people seem to build their sump around their skimmer.. I did. Everyone has their preferred skimmer and will swear by them. I dont know about aquamax seems a little cheap on price.

My recommendation is the Super Reef Octopus line. They are very reasonable priced ( around 500 for your tank) and have good options. ONLY get one that has the bubble blaster pump.. That pump has proven to be a very good and reliable pump. SRO seem to be adding the Sicce line pumps to them.. Not as good IMO. I did tons of research on this. They come in reguler model, Cone model, and super sump saver (SSS). Cones are all the rave, but i doubt they are soo much greater than a standard model.. Its about 100 buck extra for a cone style.

Unless you really got the cash... Bubble king but ya know about a grand for one...

Read this thread...The best I have ever seen.

4. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I'll do bit more checking and look at the one you suggested. I was going with the "go one more" theory, but getting one that is rated for a larger tank. Seems to be a good skimmer for the reviews, but I will definitely check the octopus line out. Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate the suggestions along the way!

5. Marty

Marty Stylophora

I'm doing a bit of LR nuking at the moment.

[​IMG]

Poured a half gallon of bleach into the wash to kill any of nuisance growth that may have stayed around. I'll leave this to soak for a week, then I will run it through two fresh water soaking periods of a week each.

During my cycle I will add some new live rock to the tank scape and to the sump to aid in cycling and seeding the nuked rock.

There is approximately 30 pounds of it soaking in the bin right now.

6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Wow...Yeah, chlorine is a heck of an agent for nuking your rock. Being the rock is so porous you should do a hardy shake time in the fresh water. Maybe even a dechlorinator in the first fresh dip just to be safe.

7. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

When you buy the LR to seed ur other rock. Check out gulfliverock.com. They have heavy corraline encrusted LR for 3.00 a lb (includes shipping). If you are into it. Just know the risks of harvested rock from the ocean

8. Click Here!

9. Marty

Marty Stylophora

Good point, I'm a bit of a nervous nelly anyway :) so I'll make sure to shake and rotate every few days.

10. Marty

Marty Stylophora

That sounds great. I love corraline, hoping to get good growth on my side and back glass too. :)

11. Marty

Marty Stylophora

The electrician is coming Wednesday, so once the new panel goes in and the permit is bought off we are a GO!

Here is a current list of equipment I have on order:

LiveAquaria Select Panorama Pro LED 24" Fixture for Soft Corals, 3 each

Hybrid Pump Gold Snapper/Dart (Mfg# 3700), 2 each - for CL 1 & 2

Portable Refractometer

True Temp Titanium Heating System Kit 800W

Hagen Thermometers Mountable

Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fitting - 3/4 inch, 4 each - for CL returns 1 & 2

Standard Threaded Bulkhead Fitting - 2 inch, 2 each - for CL outlets 1 & 2

Overflow Strainer - 2 inch MPT, 2 each - for CL outlets 1 & 2

Loc-Line 3/4 inch Ball Socket Flexible Tube 6 inch, 8 each - for CL 1 & 2

Loc-Line 3/4 inch x 3 inch Ball Socket Flare Nozzle, 8 each - for CL 1 & 2

Loc-Line 3/4 inch Ball Socket x MPT Connector, 4 each - for CL 1 & 2

Loc-Line 3/4 inch Ball Socket Y Fitting, 2 each - for CL 1 & 2

Here is what I still need to order:

180g tank, glass 72x24x24, pre-drilled with overflow boxes and plumbing

65g sump/fuge

Skimmer: Looking at Octopus Line 3000I or AquaMaxx EcoMaxx EM200 In-Sump

Return sump pump

Substrate (sand) Tank and Fuge, probably 200 pounds?

Test Kits

RO/DI unit: looking at SpectraPure MaxCap UHE 100 GPD 5 Stage

Salt

Drums for fresh and salt water

UV Filter

Need to build:

Tank bench rough dimensions 96x30x44 tall

The new laundry/reef wet room/storage will have a raised floor to current laundry room level and a built in removable floor panel to access sump/fuge and all equipment and plumbing.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

List looks good to me! A couple things though: Why a 65 sump? That is a talll and relatively narrow tank. Usually you want a sump to be as long and low as you can (a 55 would be more appropriate if you can fit it IMO). Second, hopefully the refractometer is ATC (auto temp correction) and grab a bottle of 35ppt calibration fluid. Third, 200 lbs of sand would fill your entire tank with 2" without any rock. Since you will have rock, this will leave plenty extra for the 'fuge. Lastly, with how expensive those lights are (comparatively), wouldn't you be better off with a couple 32" fixtures from Reef Breeders that will allow you to keep any coral? I am just going by the description which says "soft corals". Just throwing that out there to maybe save you some $$ since they are about the same price each, except you would only need 2.