Marineland's new skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by hugoman900, Apr 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Mine is leaking areound the o-ring too. It seems to be a reoccoring problem. I have contacted marineland about this to see what the fix is?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Fish Fan

Fish Fan Fire Worm

I dont understand how you can blame the skimmer for your sump running dry, when the skimmer sits inside the sump. I just got my skimmer (300) yesterday and it is already pulling foam. I also looked and it seems that the things that were causing the leaks have been noticed and atleast on mine were very flush with the cup base.

4. Bruno

Bruno Plankton

My 300 Pro is kicking some serious butt now. For the money, I can't imagine anything working any better, and with as little trouble. Just added as few Ricordea Florida I picked up at the LFS and they look better in my crystal-clear tank than they did at the store. Crystal clear water and my skimmer is still pulling a nice head of froth!!!

If you have a constant-water-level area in your sump, or have an automatic top-off system, this is truly a set-it-and-forget-it rig.

Very happy with my 300 Pro.

5. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have a tube going from the collection cup to a collection container. I think most of us do. The skimmer got stuck and started to overflow overnight. Then it overflowed the collection cup and then into the sump area and then onlt the floor then the sump went dry and ect. I do agree for the money if absoutlly pulls good skimate. I just have had to constantally adjust it and had gone through a few seals on it and it constantally leaks. i did speak to marineland and they have been very helpfull. I did get a loaner 300 skimmer that is also withing a week leaking around the seal. I think its a good skimmer just have got the bugs worked out yet. The o ring leaked so bad it made the know stick(in just a few days) and when overflowing also went into the sump. I cleaned the know out and the two holes for air and it worked for a few hrs then it overflowed, Then I cleaned it again set it and a few hrs later it overflowed each time I was running it at a dry skimate. So I had good luck with it until this. Hey these things are mass produced maybe I just got a bad one. I try not to be pessimistic more just trying to explain my experience with it. I again did talk to marineland and had a very good outcome and was happy with how they took care of this and am going to try this new one that is in there now and see where this goes from here. I was discouraged that it overfloeed every few hrs for days then I took it out had to wait for a new one and now am starting over.

6. tdog7879

tdog7879 Plankton

so they said there making a new one?

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

8. Click Here!

9. CraigB

CraigB Plankton

Too many micro bubbles

I think there was a straight flaw in the design. At first I thought it was great as for conserving space and the pump being underneath the actual skimmer, but... they need to work on the return water passing through a medium or bing plumbed so you can control its run-off placement.

On a scale from 1 - 10

It's a... 6 could have easily scored a 9.5 if it weren't for the microbubbles

10. Aqua1

Aqua1 Plankton

So far not so good

I have had the 100 model running for about two weeks in my 55 g tank.

On the plus side it is quiet and simple.

On the negative side it has not pulled any skim yet.

On the very negative and highly irritating side this skimmmer (unlike my prevous CPR SR2) is extremely sensitive to water level changes in your sump (I am currently at 6"). As little as 1/2 inch change can make an exponentially big difference in the water level in the skimmer thereby affecting its performance. As far as I can see, you will need to have an extremely accurate auto top off system or resign yourself to manually monitor and adjust the sump water level a few times a day. I wish I had known this before I purchased.

I am hopeful that after the 1 month or so break in period others have described here, that I will be getting good skim and less sensitivity to sump water level. Otherwise I will replace the powerhead on my CPR which skimmed quite well, wasn't any near as sensitive to water levels but was a little noisy (which could have been because the powerhead was wearing out and ultimately failed).

If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it.

11. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

I've been using this skimmer for about a year now. A couple of things:

- It does take a bit to break in. Not really sure why to be honest. Took me about a month before I saw good DOCs in the cup. Lots of microbubbles will also form up, but this lessens over time (but can still be problematic)

- Yes, it is very sensitive to water level changes. I had to resign my tank to be closed top, as the evaporation made me do daily adjustments to the unit

- Lastly - the air collection hose in the bottom of the unit is very prone to being kinked. I recommend you cut it off and reroute it yourself as this will help have more air, which equals more bubbling, and in turns helps to get more skimmate

1 person likes this.
  12. bobby115

bobby115 Plankton

How do you open this unit ?? I too have had problems with the air collection hose. I would like to replace it if at all possible.

Thanks