Marineland's new skimmer

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by hugoman900, Apr 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. captbill

captbill Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

if you take off the top look at seal(rubber ring)did it compress somewhere from tryin to put it on with the seal not in the groove? if not the seal is prob ok. When screwing top on wiggle cup and make sure its at the center also at same time make sure it is screwing on the rite way not crooked. Mine was tricky till i got used it. Just give it a try cant hurt. The rubber o-ring cant be the issue.

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Glad to be of help to you. I hope they still have one left when I get my bigger tank.;)

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Yes the cap is tricky to get on and can leak if not screwed on properly. Luckily it's not a hang on the side one like the coralife that I had that leaked in my cabinet and onto the floor. Yikes! What a mess! :angry::eek::(

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Took this picture tonight of the Marine Pro 100 in my 65 gal reef tank. The lid on mine is so tight that I barely attach it.

Attached Files:

6. Bruno

Bruno Plankton

Mine is leaking under the lock-nut. Tried lining it up, etc. and paying close attention to make sure the lock-nut screws on straight, but it still leaks. Looks like a design flaw.
    Called Marineland, but they're closed today. I'll try again Monday.

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Bruno, keep trying to put it on correctly. I had the same problems with mine. It is just a pain that the threads are so narrow. I have a coralife 65 protein skimmer that needs an O-ring that you can borrow if you want. Coralife sent me a website where I can buy a new O-ring. I'll order one now so it would be available in a week if you like. Let me know. It's always good to have a backup anyway. I live in Pompano Beach and go to the Barrier Reef three times a week.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruno

Bruno Plankton

Thanks, Marlin. I'm going to talk to the folks at Marineland on Monday and see what they say. If you have the name of a knowlegeable person over there, that would help.

I'm pretty sure the leak is negatively impacting the skimmer's performance. Not so much for the water leaking, but rather for the air escaping the skimmer's body. What's happening now is that the skimmer is building a nice head of brown foam, but the foam is staying inside of the neck. It's moving up to the top of the neck, and then back down, not having enough upward pressure to spill over the edge of the top of the neck into the cup.

My guess is that this is because of the leak giving the air in the skimmer's body another route to exit the skimmer, rather than forcing the air to continue to push the brown foam upward until it spills over into the cup.

What I'm doing now, to keep the neck clear and the skimmer skimming, is dialing it up slightly to create enough upward pressure to push the brown foam into the cup, then dialing it back down, so more brown foam can collect in the neck.

Too bad about the leak. It's a nice skimmer otherwise.

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

A guy from Coralife told me you have to put some silicone grease on the O-ring area which makes sense. That might be the best idea as I did that years ago on my pool pump. That might be the line of least resistance.

11. Bruno

Bruno Plankton

I figured out why these skimmers leak. It's either a production flaw or a design flaw, but if all of the skimmers out there are built like mine is, they probably all leak.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Can you share your 'why' with pics? I'd like to see that. :)

If you use 3reef phototools link you can add text and arrows and such to photos and save them.

If you can't, that is cool too, please just explain your 'why' as I have been following this thread and I am curious.